Pool Deck

bfosse

Aug 9, 2015
Hudson Oaks, TX
Interested in any opinions out there on exposed/washed aggregate vs. stamped concrete in regards to temperature. I realize I'm in Texas and both will get hot. Is there a noticeable difference between the two? Not only is there a cost difference but we are having trouble finding a color we like for the stamped and actually prefer the look and durability of the washed aggregate. We will have 930 sq ft of decking and have 2 young dogs that will have to walk on this deck. Not interested in the cool deck or sun deck due to the durability and maintenance. Trying to decide between the aggregate or stamped concrete. I appreciate your feedback.

329a6437d5eff7d35adc62264d9bc91c.jpg

We were going to get this but when I stood on it in person I changed my mind very fast. It was in Dallas and a temp of 97 outside. I couldn't even walk across it without it hurting.

Yes, aggregate is hot, flagstone is hot. We are very happy with our rock salt finished concrete. Unsealed, maintenance free and the coolest surface in our yard. Pics in build thread in sig, color is sand or buff.

Is exposed/washed aggregate the same as the pea gravel decking? Both my sons spent about 4-5 summers as lifeguards. They told me they wouldn't be swimming in our pool if we got the pea gravel. They said it hurt their feet (not hurt because of heat, but the pebbles hurt) compared to the pools that didn't have it. Also, the decks they walked on could have been poorly done. But maybe that's not what you're talking about.

Good luck. I'm terrible at decisions regarding pools!
Suz.

Is exposed/washed aggregate the same as the pea gravel decking? Both my sons spent about 4-5 summers as lifeguards. They told me they wouldn't be swimming in our pool if we got the pea gravel. They said it hurt their feet (not hurt because of heat, but the pebbles hurt) compared to the pools that didn't have it. Also, the decks they walked on could have been poorly done. But maybe that's not what you're talking about.

Good luck. I'm terrible at decisions regarding pools!
Suz.

Yep the same thing I think. We used to have an exposed aggregate driveway and it hurt my feet. My wife called me sissy-la-la because she had no problems walking on it in bare feet.

Now with that said there are different kinds of finishes. Some aggregate (exposed) is done by etching away the concrete with acid until the rocks are exposed. Some aggregate is rocks that are applied to the top of the concrete after it is poured and pressed into the concrete.

We HAD exposed aggregate in our backyard for many many years. We just ripped it all out and went with stamped concrete. For stamped concrete, be sure to spend the extra money and get the two-tone. One color is mixed in with the concrete and the other is spread on top of the concrete while stamping it. The two-tone looks way way WAY better than a single color. After a few days, they will power wash the stamped concrete to expose the true color. Looks awesome!

As to temperature, for sure your stamped concrete should be cooler than the exposed aggregate. Also, stamped concrete is much smoother and in general, is less abrasive for the bare tootsies than exposed aggregate.

My neighbors have exposed aggregate decking and that is what we are going with as well. We will do stamped concrete for our patio (that is mostly covered) I have walked on my neighbors multiple times and it has never hurt my feet or been too hot. But the local pool has pea gravel and it hurts my feet. There are different grades of pea gravel, the higher the grade, the smaller and smoother the pebbles. Our pb uses a higher grade.

But everyone's feet are different! I can walk barefoot outside in TX in the summer and it doesn't bother me at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.