porous pavement decking questions

Aug 12, 2013
SW Michigan
Wonder if anyone has a report or review of this type of product. I'm considering it as an overcoating of my unsightly cracked and patched concrete deck. It's applied like a stiff mix of aggregate but it's composed of chipped up recycled tires with a urethane binder and several other ingredients. It's porous and comes in several colors. Apparently it's relatively new.

I'm wondering specifically about how hard it is to keep clean. I usually have lots of debris from surrounding trees depending on the season - maple tree helicopters, pine needles, cottonwood puffs, ETC. Usually I can use my cordless leaf blower. Since it's porous, there must be tiny openings in the surface. I wonder if my debris would fill up the tiny pores, or if a percentage of my pine needles would actually stick up.

I wonder about other aspects too so I'm soliciting comments.

Pool details: 20x40 inground hybrid construction, approx 40 yrs old, 24" Ranger sand filter, New Hayward gas heater 250k btu.

OP here: I'm looking mostly for cosmetics. The existing concrete deck has cracked and shifted through the years and I just had major repairs to the circulation system that required sawing through the concrete in 4 places. The repair crew did an adequate job with the patching cement but the color and texture is "off".

The porous part is required 'cause I have a drainage problem during storms. My pool area is mostly concrete with a small sandy garden area. I also have a Crimson Maple tree in an adjacent small open area. The overall slope does not contribute to good drainage. I can live with the drainage I had but don't want to make it worse.

The company I'm dealing with assures me that the stuff is very porous and should be OK. I'm just looking for someone who maybe has dealt with it.

Thanks in advance

If it's that porous, I don't know how it's going to hold up to all the freeze and thaw cycles you have in Michigan. I would be concerned with it peeling. I chose a textured acrylic coating for my deck, particularly because it's somewhat flexible but not porous. It's held up well for ten years now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.