Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: porous pavement decking questions

1. Back To Top    #1

porous pavement decking questions

Wonder if anyone has a report or review of this type of product. I'm considering it as an overcoating of my unsightly cracked and patched concrete deck. It's applied like a stiff mix of aggregate but it's composed of chipped up recycled tires with a urethane binder and several other ingredients. It's porous and comes in several colors. Apparently it's relatively new.

I'm wondering specifically about how hard it is to keep clean. I usually have lots of debris from surrounding trees depending on the season - maple tree helicopters, pine needles, cottonwood puffs, ETC. Usually I can use my cordless leaf blower. Since it's porous, there must be tiny openings in the surface. I wonder if my debris would fill up the tiny pores, or if a percentage of my pine needles would actually stick up.

I wonder about other aspects too so I'm soliciting comments.

Pool details: 20x40 inground hybrid construction, approx 40 yrs old, 24" Ranger sand filter, New Hayward gas heater 250k btu.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: porous pavement decking questions

Do you have any sample pictures or links you could share? I've never heard of this. It sounds interesting.
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

There was an article in JLC (journal of light construction) in the last two months that reviewed porous pavements. Might be worth a read.

On Site With Pervious Concrete | JLC Online | Aggregates, Concrete, Concrete Strength, Recycled Concrete, Mix Design, Pervious Concrete, Roadways, American Concrete Institute

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    Do you have any sample pictures or links you could share? I've never heard of this. It sounds interesting.
    Suz.
    don't have foto but here's a link to a you tube site

Porous Pave Installation - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

OP here: I'm looking mostly for cosmetics. The existing concrete deck has cracked and shifted through the years and I just had major repairs to the circulation system that required sawing through the concrete in 4 places. The repair crew did an adequate job with the patching cement but the color and texture is "off".

The porous part is required 'cause I have a drainage problem during storms. My pool area is mostly concrete with a small sandy garden area. I also have a Crimson Maple tree in an adjacent small open area. The overall slope does not contribute to good drainage. I can live with the drainage I had but don't want to make it worse.

The company I'm dealing with assures me that the stuff is very porous and should be OK. I'm just looking for someone who maybe has dealt with it.

Thanks in advance

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If it's that porous, I don't know how it's going to hold up to all the freeze and thaw cycles you have in Michigan. I would be concerned with it peeling. I chose a textured acrylic coating for my deck, particularly because it's somewhat flexible but not porous. It's held up well for ten years now.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit