Looking to start SLAM, used K-2006 for first time - please review

tea

Aug 13, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I had an HTH kit which in recent weeks has indicated several times the CYA was not even reaching 20. After letting the pool sit for a few days due to being busy, and having had a CYA read of 10 Last night, I added 4 lbs of clorox granular pool stabilizer which i found last night at Lowe's.
This morning's tests are as follows:
CYA 53
FC .6
CC 2
pH 7 (last night before the stabilizer add, the pH was 7.4)

when i put this math into the pool calculator today, and targeting for 20 FC based on a CYA of 53, I find I need to add 6 bottles of the great value 121 oz, 8.25% bleach.

Pool size is 16X32 rectangle, 3 ft shallow, 9 feet deep. (approx 25,000 gallons).

Should I proceed with the adding of the bleach? or do any of the other #s cause for concern before I start?

That's probably very close. I used 24K as a gallon size on the calculator and came-up with 5.5 gallons of bleach. :) If you're going to adjust the pH up slightly, do it before adding the bleach. Be careful of the CYA. Remember what you added last night won't show-up on the tests for about a week.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
On the CYA... I clearly raised it significantly overnight. When a week passes, should I expect it to be higher or lower than the read I got approx 9h after administering it? It was clorox granuals and I added it very slowly into the skimmer. My pressure was unaffected. I kept checking that.
I would not expect it to go up, just based on the instructions on the bottle regarding the recommended ratios to achieve the desired ppm. It would have prescribed too much based on gallons.
??

Typically, granules (I've never used the Clorox brand) will fully dissolve in about 24-48 hours. But then it still takes a few days for that dissolved stabilizer to actually show-up and raise your CYA tests. The only stabilizer that will record quite quickly is the liquid form, but it about 2-3 times the cost as granules.

I had an HTH kit which in recent weeks has indicated several times the CYA was not even reaching 20. After letting the pool sit for a few days due to being busy, and having had a CYA read of 10 Last night, I added 4 lbs of clorox granular pool stabilizer which i found last night at Lowe's.
This morning's tests are as follows:
CYA 53
FC .6
CC 2
pH 7 (last night before the stabilizer add, the pH was 7.4)

when i put this math into the pool calculator today, and targeting for 20 FC based on a CYA of 53, I find I need to add 6 bottles of the great value 121 oz, 8.25% bleach.

Pool size is 16X32 rectangle, 3 ft shallow, 9 feet deep. (approx 25,000 gallons).

Should I proceed with the adding of the bleach? or do any of the other #s cause for concern before I start?
How are you adding the granular CYA? When I add granular CYA with the sock method it takes a day or 3 to fully dissolve, and about 3-4 days after that to fully register on my test.

Also, how are you arriving at 53ppm? Which HTH kit are you using?

Dom

edit: If you are using the K2006 for the CYA test and are somewhere between 50-60 on the scale it would be best to use CYA of 60ppm for your FC calculations.

Okay, well, you may want to just watch the CYA for now and check it in about 5 -6 days. You may find that it will be higher than 53, maybe closer to 60 or so. In your area, and now that it will be cooling-off in the next few weeks, I don't think you need to go any higher. But just keep an eye on it. If it over-shoots really high after a week, let us know.

Those two numbers (FC 25 and CYA 60) go well together for a SLAM per the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. If you find after a couple days or more that the CYA is still climbing, then you'll have to increase the FC accordingly, but you seem to be on the right track now. Biggest thing to do now is continue to maintain that higher FC SLAM level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

The CYA test - yeah, it can be tough sometimes and mess with your eyes. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

I posted over in the balancing forum, as my CYA is today reading at 80. I hope that is temporary?? This is really frustrating and I don't know if I should proceed or stop.
I was doing well, Friday into saturday morning, keeping the FC over 25. I think I see some lightening and clearing, but today's CYA measurement is worrying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA doesn't dissipate. The only way to lower it is with water exchange.

If that CYA reading is correct, you now need a shock FC level of 31ppm.

Are you taking the CYA reading outside, on a sunny day with your back to the sun with the vial at waist level?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.