PH/TA adjustment

bbeau62

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 17, 2015
Plainfield, CT
I am new to the forum and have just started testing and using the pool math. My test results are:

6.6 FC
7.0 PH
130 TA
450 CA
60 CYA

My question is regarding the relationship between PH & TA

Pool Math says "to add 186oz by weight of washing soda or soda ash to raise PH to 7.5"
Then for TA it says "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.
Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH just a little"
How do I lower TA to 80 and raise PH to 7.5?

Thank-you

Byron

Hi Byron. Whenever someone needs to lower TA, it's with muriatic acid. Of course that also lowers pH. The trick is to do it carefully "in stages" so that when you add acid, you only lower pH to about 7.0, then you aerate the water which raises pH ONLY and leaves the TA alone (lower). Make sense?

Also keep in mind though, a good pH is really your primary goal. No need to get too picky with TA if your pH stays within the 7.2-7.8 range.

You don't need to add anything at the moment. Just aerate. Point returns up to break the surface. Build an aerator. Encourage the kids to have a splash fight. Anything to churn the water up good. The pH will rise. When it rises to 7.8, add acid to lower pH to 7.2 and that will lower the TA as well.

TA is the least critical of all the parameters. Don't obsess over it.

You don't need to add anything at the moment. Just aerate. Point returns up to break the surface. Build an aerator. Encourage the kids to have a splash fight. Anything to churn the water up good. The pH will rise. When it rises to 7.8, add acid to lower pH to 7.2 and that will lower the TA as well.

TA is the least critical of all the parameters. Don't obsess over it.

Thanks for the info. PH is up to 7.5 today from aeration.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just to add, there is generally no reason to worry about a high TA. All it impacts in how quickly the pH rises. And if you keep the pH in range, that is about all that matters and the TA will slowly come down on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.