Can someone please help me!

Aug 21, 2015
Louisburg, NC
Can someone please advise on how/what I need to do/add to get my #'s correct?? Thanks in Advance!!

20,000 gallon fiberglass salt water pool
86 degrees water temp

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
TC: 2
CH: 200
TA: 70
CYA: 90
PH: 7.2
Chlorine: .5
Salt: 3100

Again Thanks so much for any help!! :)

How did you get your current numbers? If they are from a pool store, we've found them to not be very accurate or even close sometimes.

Assuming they are accurate, your FC is low for your CYA level. Your FC should be around 7 so you may wish to crank up your SWG and/or run it for a longer period of time.

TA might be a tad low and the pH, while fine, is on the low-end of fine. If you pH is stable, however, I wouldn't worry.

How does your pool look? Pictures can be helpful.

Add chlorine...pronto. If you can replace a foot or so of water to get the CYA down to around 70, this whole thing will be easier.

Other than that, looks good.

This site recommends a CYA of 60-80 for a salt water pool. Your FC is also too low. It should be in the 4-6 range. The only way to lower CYA is to replace water in your pool. The only way to increase FC is to add more chlorine. If your SWCG is not keeping up, you may have an alge bloom starting.

Depending on how you ended up with FC of 1.5, you may need to SLAM your pool. Please visit Pool School on this website. There is so much great information there.

In order to best help you, we need to know how you are testing your water. Pool store? Your own test kit? What does your water look like? We love pictures.

Many members of this site all have the same sort of test kit. This allows us to compare apples to apples when it comes to water test results. I have the TF-100. You can purchase test kits like most of us use on TFTestkits.net. Since you'll be doing a SLAM, I would definitely go for the TF-100 since it has more reagents for testing.

This site recommends a CYA of 60-80 for a salt water pool. Your FC is also too low. It should be in the 4-6 range. The only way to lower CYA is to replace water in your pool. The only way to increase FC is to add more chlorine. If your SWCG is not keeping up, you may have an alge bloom starting.

Depending on how you ended up with FC of 1.5, you may need to SLAM your pool. Please visit Pool School on this website. There is so much great information there.

In order to best help you, we need to know how you are testing your water. Pool store? Your own test kit? What does your water look like? We love pictures.

Many members of this site all have the same sort of test kit. This allows us to compare apples to apples when it comes to water test results. I have the TF-100. You can purchase test kits like most of us use on TFTestkits.net. Since you'll be doing a SLAM, I would definitely go for the TF-100 since it has more reagents for testing.

I am using the TF-100 kit. :p:p:p
The pool looks a little cloudy (greenish cloudy)

You do need to SLAM the pool. Before you do that, I'd drain 20% of your water and refill. While you're draining and refilling. Spend some time in Pool School. Specifically the 3 links in my signature and others linked above.

You have a green pool because you did not maintain enough FC for your CYA level. Each different concentration of CYA requires that a different minimum FC level be maintained at all times. 1.5 FC is certainly too low for 90 CYA, which is why you have algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read and re-read the SLAM instructions and multiple other things in Pool School. I guess I was just looking for a little clarity or reassurance that I understood correctly. Sorry for the stupid questions. Do not worry you want get any more stupid questions from me.:mad:

Sorry if my response seemed harsh to you - not my intent; just typing on phone rather than keyboard leads to brevity.

You said you SLAMmed (past tense), so I wanted to be sure you understood it was a process, not a one-time action.

You can swim at FC up to SLAM level, as long as visibility is good enough to see the bottom.

Questions aren't stupid, and people here are happy to answer them. More specific questions will generally get more specific answers.

added - I asked for latest test results, in case you wanted anyone to double check the FC level required for your new CYA. Sorry if the request for test results was perceived as offensive for some reason... ��

auntjess,
Nobody said anything about stupid questions, please do not be so defensive. We are just pool owners volunteering our time to help others with their pools because we love TFP. I often refer people back to the written directions because we cannot type out all of the directions in every response and we will likely miss something. It is much more beneficial for you if we do so that you can be thorough and clear up your pool.

Your question was when should I recheck my numbers?

The SLAM process states:
Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see*here*for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day.
Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently. Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day Backwash or clean the filter as needed Vacuum up debris as needed

When is it OK to swim?
It is safe to swim when
pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Chlorine is above minimum and below shock level
for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
Water is clear enough to see the bottom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.