Hardest thing on a liner pool?

Low PH is probably the worst thing for a vinyl liner. Low PH will make the liner fade and become brittle more quickly than normal. Keep your PH at 7.0 or higher and make sure that any acids you add mix quickly and throughly.

I agree with Jason on the pH, but worse than any chemistry issue is the method of adding chemicals. Dry chemicals like pH adjusters and granular chlorine dumped in will settle on the bottom and damage the liner where they land. Bleach and muriatic acid are both heavier than water and will settle if added without circulation.

so can you put things thru the skimmer of is its best to due it in front of the inlet
thanks
not sure if this is the place to ask but here it goes... i dont have a 7 way test keep iam waiting on it.. can i start to switch over to BBB or should i wait until it gets here

thanks

Different chemicals are typically added differently. Liquids can be poured slowly in front of a return (probably what you are calling an inlet, where water enters the pool). Calcium should be spread across the surface of the pool. Stabilizer poured very slowly into the skimmer and then don't backwash/clean the filter for a week. The remaining powdered/granular chemicals should be pre-dissolved and then poured slowly in front of a return.

You can go ahead and start using some of the BBB techniques even before your test kit arrives. You should to be cautious about making any major adjustments without reliable test results, but you can start using bleach as a chlorine source right away and adjusting the PH with muriatic acid and borax.

Hi guys,

I have a follow up questiong relating to this one...

Low PH is terrible for liners, etc... So what happens throughout the winter when the pool is off and the water quality is not being maintained?

I always did the same thing (which was nothing) after winterizing. But 2 years ago I put a new liner in, and I don't want it to start fading early. Is there something I should be doing over the winters (I live in NY so my pool is closed about 7 months of the year) to keep the PH normal?

Thanks!!!

A properly winterized pool with a solid cover is essentially a closed system. Aside from some PH increase caused by dropping temperatures, the PH should remain the same throughout the winter.

If you have a mesh cover, or leave the pool uncovered, you should test and adjust the PH occasionally, keeping in mind that PH is expected, and should be allowed, to rise some at colder temperatures. You don't need to do this very often, the lower temperatures will slow any chemical reactions so changes should be slow and easy to correct.

:lol: well i have switched to BBB and i have a green pool, But i looks likes its starting to come around.. I was wondering if i should vacume the bottom to get the dirt off the bottom... keep in mind i still cant see the bottom at the deep end.. i am brushing the walls and the bottom just not vacuming until i get it cleared up...
i dont have my new test kit from here yet, I am just using my old for now, its kind of a guess since the clorine only goes to 5..
thanks
jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is usually worth doing some vacuuming even if you can't see the bottom. Any debris you can pick up will speed up the process of clearing up the water. Of course, when you finally can see the bottom you will need to vacuum again, since it is essentially impossible to get everything when you can't see what you are doing.

Thanks for the response, i will do some vacuming, even in the snow. Yes its snowing today. Just a little..
One more question, until my good test kits get here. Is there a way to know where my fc is and my cc. because my kits does not go that far up. Or should i just plan on keeping it up until i get my kit..
Thanks for all the help..
jim

You can dilute the pool water with chlorine free water (for example distilled water) to measure higher levels, but the results get less precise. For example, mix one part of pool water with two equal parts of distilled water, do the test with that, and then multiply the test result by three. This approach is good enough to measure shock level, but useless for checking for overnight chlorine loss.

after diluting the test with water 2 to 1 i get some really weird readings.. when i dont dulute i get ready that is over 6 and then when i dilute i get a ready of nothing.. iam just worrried that i might get to much tc in the pool,,, is there such thing as to much.. iam just try to clear the pool up for the winter...

hayfarmer said:
:lol: well i have switched to BBB and i have a green pool
Jim,

Can you give us the water chemistry numbers that existed before your pool started to turn green? You say you switched to BBB, but if you've got a green pool then something went wrong and we should figure out what that is. Was the pool "let go" over the winter?

Richard

:roll: Well, We had the pool put in late last summer, Aug 15 to be exact, the kids could tell you that!! LOL
For the first winter close they were to do it,, which they did.. I am not sure what they put in it to close it..
But when i pull off the safety cover about a week ago, it was green!!!

So took some water in and had it test they said it looked pretty good but i had some algae in it... Duh
so thats when i started looking on the internet about a green pool,, and then thats when i found TFP

so i have decided to switch to BBB
I have a good test kit coming should be here next week... the mail is so slow, when you want somthing..
And my old bio gaurd test kits does not go beyond 5 on the tc so it pretty hard to find out how much i have in there..
its starting to clear up but pretty slow,,
its 18x36 approx 24000 and i have put in 16 gals of bleach...
i know they said at the pool store that my CYA was 50 so i looked at the calculator and it says shock level should be at 20ppm but i have no idea if iam there..
Can you get to much cholrine in the pool,,, i know it will be used up my the agents in the water and the sun.. i just dont want to damage the linner in the process...My ears and eyes are open for any suggetions..
thanks for all the help

Not sure if I've welcomed you here (I know I've seen some of your posts) - if I haven't, let me do so now :wave:

You can get too much of a good thing , in this case chlorine, in the pool. You probably haven't reached that level yet 8)

As you know, being able to properly test your water is "key" to being able to proactively care for the pool 8) .

I've followed this thread and haven't had anything to say because the others who have answered have given you the best advice :)

When you get your good test kit, please post the results here and you will receive excellent advice on what and how to adjust the chemistry. :!:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.