Hi, My name is Amy, I live in MA and have been a pool owner for over 10 years. Every year has been pretty good, except this year I have encountered something I cant seem to fix.
It started last week with a pretty heavy rainstorm, the next day i noticed that i needed to back wash the filter (DE fingers not cartridge) because it was running pretty high . Next day, pool looks great except there is what looks like jelly fish floating around and looks like tissue paper got into my pool and sunk to the bottom.20150814_161847.jpg (pics attatched... innoculous looking jelly fish type thing...) I scooped out the "paper" and it looked like this....20150815_002351.jpg and this... 20150815_002402.jpg so when i scrape it off... the site wont let me upload the pic for some reason but it looks like a pink human organ. gross. anyway ... i google diagnosed it as "tissue paper syndrome/white mold/pink slime". I shocked my pool, got all the levels right and i found a product called something like silverdene ? (at $40 a bottle) and added it to my skimmer. pool looked good, over the next few days i scooped up , vaccumed and brushed all the dead stuff out of the bottom of my pool. After 72 hours of that I took apart the filter and cleaned it .at this point, pool had been running 24 hours a day for 4 days . I think its all ok, but when i check my chlorine levels, there not even registering. Every thing else is fine. So I shocked again. next day same thing. I shock again. next day, same result. I put the filter back on the timer, and put 8lbs of shock in (when i normally put 2) because i googled chlorine demand and thats what was said to do. Next day....chlorine barely registers and now i see more of those thin white jellyfish looking things ! I put it back on 24 hours a day, added 12 lbs of shock , just want to kick it in the rear, and this is where I am now. I get to work ( i work overnights) and when i tell a friend / fellow pool owner what i did , she said i was going to burn out my liner with all that chlorine, never mind my lines. So Im here freaking out because it is a brand NEW liner I put in last year. so is it ok to put that much shock in ? I believe its a 20,000 gal pool and I use clear view products. And what should i do if this doesnt work? HELP !!!