New pool owner-(older pool)

Aug 20, 2015
Frisco, TX
Hello, first time pool owner here and have some questions. I am taking my water sample to Leslie's every week for testing. My chlorine levels are always good (mostly FC4 TC4) so I have turned down my Chlorine production percentage. Water is always crystal clear. But now I am noticing that the walls and floor are changing colors. Some spots look splotchy green, some areas look splotchy white, and some areas splotchy brown. I shocked it and no change. Added algaecide today and no change. Anyone know what's going on?? Help

current reading:
tc 3
tc 3
ch 270
cya 70
ta 90
ph 7.8

pics are below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 43
Welcome to TFP!

You have algae growing in your pool due to insufficient chlorine levels. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

To kill the algae you will need to follow the SLAM process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, which requires a great test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Also, have a look at these articles from Pool School
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Before you can SLAM you need your own test kit. You really need the TF-100 XL as you will run out of the stuff you need to do a SLAM.

You are going to need to test your water many times a day..........most pool stores get the tests wrong. Yeah I know they do it for free but is it really free if you are adding more stuff than your pool really needs?

Kim

In addition, you probably should avoid those pool store chemicals as they tend to increase CYA or (like many algaecides) add copper. But also have to ask ..... in Frisco, are you on a well or city water?

Totally agree about the TF-100. I have one and it's fantastic. Also ask for the "Speed stir"!

Many of the chemicals you see mentioned here at TFP are easily obtained at your grocery or local home improvement store. For us in TX, I use Wal-Mart's "Great Value" or HEB's "Bravo" bleach. You can also get granular stabilizer from Wal-Mart. You can get muriatic acid from Home Depot, Lowes, or if needed the pool store. The pool store is fine for some things when you know what you want. It's the new pool owners that can easily be convinced by the clerk they need something new ( and expensive). :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.