Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner-(older pool)

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner-(older pool)

Hello, first time pool owner here and have some questions. I am taking my water sample to Leslie's every week for testing. My chlorine levels are always good (mostly FC4 TC4) so I have turned down my Chlorine production percentage. Water is always crystal clear. But now I am noticing that the walls and floor are changing colors. Some spots look splotchy green, some areas look splotchy white, and some areas splotchy brown. I shocked it and no change. Added algaecide today and no change. Anyone know what's going on?? Help

current reading:
    tc 3
    tc 3
    ch 270
    cya 70
    ta 90
    ph 7.8

pics are below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17,000 gal IG salt water pool, DE filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner-(older pool)

Owners manual calls it colored plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You have algae growing in your pool due to insufficient chlorine levels. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. Chlorine CYA Chart

To kill the algae you will need to follow the SLAM process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, which requires a great test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. More here, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Also, have a look at these articles from Pool School
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I had no idea the 2 numbers (cya and fc) correlated. Thanks for your help. Off to SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

Before you can SLAM you need your own test kit. You really need the TF-100 XL as you will run out of the stuff you need to do a SLAM.

You are going to need to test your water many times a day..........most pool stores get the tests wrong. Yeah I know they do it for free but is it really free if you are adding more stuff than your pool really needs?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In addition, you probably should avoid those pool store chemicals as they tend to increase CYA or (like many algaecides) add copper. But also have to ask ..... in Frisco, are you on a well or city water?

Totally agree about the TF-100. I have one and it's fantastic. Also ask for the "Speed stir"!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

City water.

Where should I get chemicals?

8. Back To Top    #8

Many of the chemicals you see mentioned here at TFP are easily obtained at your grocery or local home improvement store. For us in TX, I use Wal-Mart's "Great Value" or HEB's "Bravo" bleach. You can also get granular stabilizer from Wal-Mart. You can get muriatic acid from Home Depot, Lowes, or if needed the pool store. The pool store is fine for some things when you know what you want. It's the new pool owners that can easily be convinced by the clerk they need something new ( and expensive).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

That's me. They see me coming and I always leave spending at least $50. ��

10. Back To Top    #10

I am new pool owner too but what I have learnt in few months- don't trust the readings of the pool stores.. Do a one time investment and buy a good testkit it will save u money in long run.. Good luck with the new pool ..
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.