Help with setting mechanical timer

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi,

I'm a new pool owner and have a stupid question - I, for the life of me, can't figure out how to set the time on my mechanical timers. The instructions I found online for this (old) controller say the following:
To set the time of day,rotate the dial in a clockwise direction until the hours and minutes line up with the white arrow at eight o'clock position on clock face.

Below is a picture of the timers for reference. I'm really struggling with what this means - wouldn't that just set the time of day to 8:00? Am I supposed to line up the minute and hour hands when it actually is 8:00 to calibrate it or something? Appreciate any help! Sorry for the dumb question.

Timers.jpg

Hello,

First let me start by saying I don't have one of these, but I think I understand by looking at the directions, and watching some videos on other types of times, how to set it. The links I used are at the bottom of this post.

Ok on this timer you set the time of day by lining the outside black time with the white arrow at 8:00 on the inner black section. Make sure you are setting it for AM (lighter colored numbers)or PM (darker numbers) Both the AM and PM are setting where the number 6 should be on the OUTER black circle with the #s on it.

Each line between the numbers is equal to 15 mins, so by looking at the pic, the best I can determine by what I'm able to see on my computer screen, is that on the timer on the left the time Is set at 7:45 PM, the one on the right is at 7:30 PM currently.

You just need to turn the Black outside dial with the numbers clockwise, and place whatever time it is now using the 15 min time frames, and set it in line with the white arrow at 8:00. I think you may have to slightly pull out on it to set. You might hear a click when it sets.

OK for the run times, Does that one have pins to set the run times, or do the white lines in the outside circle push in by any chance?

The way the directions stated I think the little white lines should push kind of in towards the center, but I really can't tell by the pic, a lot of timers use pins to set the appropriate pump times etc. but I'm don't think this one does.

Ok I'm going to let you work on setting the time, and if you will let me know if there are pins, or if the white lines on the outside circle push in, Then we will try to figure out how to set the different run times.

Anyway, I hope this helps if not holler back and maybe I can word it differently. Perhaps the videos below will help they're not the same timer but a similar concept.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=How to...=-1&sk=&cvid=DEFF343B57BE451E802F1E947CA9F220

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1GtkANOvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTONP3Z1Bf8

Ah, thanks! I think this all makes sense - I'll go out and give setting the time a try in the light tomorrow morning. And yes, the outside of the dial are pins that you can push in towards the center. Each pin corresponds to 15 minutes that the pump will run when pushed towards the center. I'll also play with that. I'm a little unclear on selecting the AM vs PM setting when setting the time but will play with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks again!

From what I can see here on the AM and PM. The PM has a slightly darker background.

On timer on the left from the slight background color difference, the PM appears to be from the bottom center 12, clockwise up to the top 12. (It appears to be exactly 1 mark off from being completely centered if looking both of the small 12s so then AM appears to be from the top center 12, clockwise down to the bottom 12.

It you were to turn the left dial clockwise just one little lines worth lining up the little 12 to the BIG 12 at the top, then look over at your white line to set your time of day. The time of day would be sitting right at 8:00 PM.

The timer on the right appears to be sitting almost completely the opposite as the one on the left. Minus the fact that the numbers on the one on the right are one additional click off the top center 12 mark.

LOL It's really kind of hard to explain it. I'm a visual, and hands on person. LOL I want to be able to touch those dials, and turn it so I can explain it better. So lol if it's any consolation I've set both those timers a dozen times already for you LOL. LOL Now if I only could just start it up to check my work, and ensure I've set it right.

Oh and I am so jealous, I'd love to have one of those on my pool.

Also as an FYI on something I picked up on during researching that I wanted to bring to your attention just to prevent you burning up a pump or whatever.

If you'll watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1GtkANOvM - right at the 1:15 mark in the video, he mentions something about needing to be sure the 2nd timer that is used to set your pool clean time is set sometime within the same time frame that the pool is filtering because it draws its water from the main pump too. So it doesn't need to be set to clean the entire time, but set it to clean within the filter time frame when you do clean it. I hope this helps. Have a nice day:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.