New pool owner

Aug 19, 2015
Houston
I posted in another part of the forum but looks like here is where to go. New pool just opened this week we have been able to use it since Tuesday. No issues yet but been doing a ton of reading and I am getting to where I want to add Borates to the pool Read the faq on it but not sure if I should even try it before the pool has time to settle in and the number to settle out. I have been testing with the cheap strips that the builder gave me but planning to get a TFT 100 hopefully next week.

pool.jpg

If this is a *brand new* pool with pebbletec finish I would wait to add borates until you know all the cement has cured, which may take months.

Your new pool will cause your pH to require monitoring and acid administration and borates can make that more difficult to manage.

Yes, YS is correct: you might use as much acid as chlorine while the plaster cures! I'm on day 35 of a brand new Pebble Sheen refinish of the pool and my pH is slowing down in terms of racing to 8.0+ but I still need to add acid about 2x/week now.

TFP recommends you wait on adding the borates until you have a couple months under your belt on testing, and keep your water balanced. Get a grip on the basics first and understand the effects of adding stuff before you start adding borates.

Well I tested and came up with
FC 4
CC .2
PH 7.7
TA 43
and Borates are showing at 28. I did not add them the builder did as part of the startup. I plan to not add any more till I get everything settled and the plaster has at least a couple of months to cure maybe even wait till I open in the summer which for Houston wont be that long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.