Confused-please help

Aug 20, 2015
Glendora, CA
So, I've had a pool for quite some time, but I had a pool guy. Well, quite frankly I got tired of being embarrassed when friends came over and my pool wasn't clear, that I let him go. My son has been taking care of the chemical balancing and has really done a good job. But now, I want to clean the filter as I know that it should be done every six months. After researching, I realize that I will also be backwashing the filter every so often. I've read so much about backwashing and I think I got it down. Well, I purchased a backwash hose and was set to do this over the weekend and go to the filter and as we're getting ready to get started, I notice that there is nothing that looks like a backwash line out. Is this normal...not to have anywhere to connect a backwash hose to? What do I do now? I've looked and looked, and there is nothing anywhere that I can connect a backwash hose to. Soooo confusing. :(

Hello Mona and welcome to TFP! When speaking about backwashing, you give the impression you have a sand filter. But if you don't see the appropriate fitting, then perhaps you have something else. Maybe you can post a pic of your equipment?

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

How about a couple pics of your filter and general pool equipment? Perhaps you don't have a sand filter? If you have a cartridge filter, there will be no backwash...one just pulls the cartridge out and hoses it down until clean.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just wanted to add that we recommend cleaning the filter (whether backwashing a sand or DE filter or spraying down a cartridge) when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... not based on some specific amount of time like 6 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.