Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused-please help

1. Back To Top    #1
    Glendora, CA

Unhappy Confused-please help

So, I've had a pool for quite some time, but I had a pool guy. Well, quite frankly I got tired of being embarrassed when friends came over and my pool wasn't clear, that I let him go. My son has been taking care of the chemical balancing and has really done a good job. But now, I want to clean the filter as I know that it should be done every six months. After researching, I realize that I will also be backwashing the filter every so often. I've read so much about backwashing and I think I got it down. Well, I purchased a backwash hose and was set to do this over the weekend and go to the filter and as we're getting ready to get started, I notice that there is nothing that looks like a backwash line out. Is this normal...not to have anywhere to connect a backwash hose to? What do I do now? I've looked and looked, and there is nothing anywhere that I can connect a backwash hose to. Soooo confusing.

American Products Titan Vertical Grid D.E. Filter
    US Motors 1.0 HP Pool Motor

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Confused-please help

Hello Mona and welcome to TFP! When speaking about backwashing, you give the impression you have a sand filter. But if you don't see the appropriate fitting, then perhaps you have something else. Maybe you can post a pic of your equipment?

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Jose, CA

How about a couple pics of your filter and general pool equipment? Perhaps you don't have a sand filter? If you have a cartridge filter, there will be no just pulls the cartridge out and hoses it down until clean.
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Your signature says you have a DE filter.

More on cleaning a DE filter here,
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

and here,
    Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Just wanted to add that we recommend cleaning the filter (whether backwashing a sand or DE filter or spraying down a cartridge) when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... not based on some specific amount of time like 6 months.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!