Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding cya sock method.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding cya sock method.

When I read toss the sock into the skimmer. Is this the skimmer attached to pump? Do I need to worry about flow restrictions, I'm starting from a 0 CYA... Or do multiple doses with needing so much?
    22' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame AGP 10,400 gallons
    Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter & Hayward thru-wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding cya sock method.

Intex pools many times do not have skimmers. They only have a return port that pushes water into the pool and a suction port that pulls water out of the pool. In this case where you don't have a skimmer like this:

Then you want to hang the sock in front of the return opening where water is going into the pool. Use a weight outside the pool and a rope/string to keep the sock at the proper height, in front of the return, not resting against the pool liner.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to use liquid stabilizer?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier and faster to use liquid stabilizer?
    Yes, but much more costly.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

oops! ya beat me YS.

Yes it would. Also, very costly.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Liquid is easier and quicker, but at about 2-3 times the cost.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, Thanks guys......I'm still trying to absorb everything!!!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

JVTrain: ooops i should add that to my sig. i do have a hayward thru-wall skimmer i installed also, thats why i was wondering which skimmer basket i keep reading about.

I ended up going to leslie's pool and buying a gallong of liquid for $38
    22' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame AGP 10,400 gallons
    Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter & Hayward thru-wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

One gallon (128 oz) should have raised your CYA by aprox 36ppm.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

I had to raise my CYA up today as well. Not a big issue using the powder. I used a zip tie to close the top of the sock and another zip tie to attach it the the end of the hose shut off. Placed right in front of my strongest return. When the pool is off it hangs without touching the side of the pool. Here's a pic of my set up:
    P1030835.jpg
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100