Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Pump to get?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Pump to get?

My motor has died (1HP) and the pump is old and suspect as well. I am electing to replace the whole assembly. I am considering trying a multi speed or variable speed. Good idea? If so, which model should I consider? I've look at the Pentair Superflo for a single speed and the Intelliflow for a VS - just not sure which one I need.

Thanks!

BTW, contrary to what my signature says, I'm at about 18,000 gallons.
    1) 10,000 Gallons
    2) Cartridge Filter
    3) IG
    4) Pebble
    5) Hayward NorthStar Self Priming pump and a Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which Pump to get?

I've look at the Pentair Superflo for a single speed and the Intelliflow for a VS - just not sure which one I need.
    What about a SuperFlo two speed?

A VS is a good choice in areas where you have very expensive electricity or you need more than two flow rates. However in most of the country, a two speed will have a lower lifetime cost than a VS.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

How do you control the speeds? Is that built onto the pump or would I be adding a switch somewhere?
    1) 10,000 Gallons
    2) Cartridge Filter
    3) IG
    4) Pebble
    5) Hayward NorthStar Self Priming pump and a Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You can have a manual switch, timer or a controller. It is up to you.

However, you could just replace your current motor with a two speed and a built in timer like this:

A.O. Smith 1 HP Full Rate Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B975T,B2975T) - INYOPools.com
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

These pumps are all the rage here; they are water-cooled, so virtually silent and the heat is transferred to the pool Silensor Pool Pumps | Davey
    They are made in New Zealand, so not sure who distributes them in the U.S.
    14 x 28 Jacuzzi vinyl inground pool, Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Eauclair - That is an interesting pump! But it is all 'metric' and wouldn't 'work' here in the US of A! LOL! I assume they can run on 60 Hz if you're using 'em up there in the Great White North.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

We share the same 1.5 or 2 inch pool plumbing fixtures. The pool industry here is non-metric. Costco Canada sells it online: http://www.costco.ca/Nirvana-Silenso...=10302&refine=
    Quebec has its own distributor, Nirvana pumps, so Costco can't sell that item in our province. It even looks like Nirvana is importing the pumps and using Costco.ca as a distribution channel for the rest of Canada.
    14 x 28 Jacuzzi vinyl inground pool, Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

I purchased a variable speed Bluetorrent pump off eBay for $300 and it has already paid for itself in power savings. Skip the two speed, if you are pondering that route, and go variable.

9. Back To Top    #9

I love my Pentair Intelliflo pump. But, it is a lot of pump. I never run it full speed not even for solar and waterfall. But, I will buy another one the day it breaks. They also make a smaller VS pump, 342001 superflo

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach