Should I upgrade to Jandy watercolor LED from incandescent?

That seems about right. How many lights is that upgrade price for? I put LEDs in when I built our pool and I love them. I have them turn on every night for a couple hours via automation for ambiance. It is nice to have them change colors. An LED won't be as bright as an incandescent so if you have one incandescent in your pool, I'd put in two LEDs.

The price sounds about right.

Some folks like LEDs and some dont, so its pretty much a personal thing.

A couple of big positives about them, is they use hardly any electricity
LEDs do not attract bugs like incandescent lights do. I found this in iteself to be worth the money of switching over.

A couple of big positives about them, is they use hardly any electricity
LEDs do not attract bugs like incandescent lights do. I found this in iteself to be worth the money of switching over.

We were considering only incandescent, but this is very persuasive. Have you experienced firsthand the difference in bug attraction between the two? Otherwise, in our situation, I'm not sure the added cost would be worth it.

The only thing i would add is the ability to change the colors is super cool and the Cobalt Blue in the pool and Caribbean Blue in the spa is very pretty! Not only do LEDs last longer and take less electricity (I think) its also an ambiance thing. To me its like having dimmers in your house - although we are kinda crazy and have the Phillips Hue lights downstairs as we like the different colors and the ability to control our house lights from our phones. I say go with LED's but its not my $$$$

I think I was charged more to upgrade than that - but I can't remember. I like them - I like being able to change the colors. But for me it isn't as fancy as I had imagined it in my head. I have 2 in my pool and 1 in my spa - the spa - is KNOCKOUT when they are on - but the pool - even with 2 isn't as bright as I was thinking it would be. I would probably do it again - but if I HAD to cut costs - it wouldn't kill me to cut it.

Not sure if it matters - mine are Glo Brites.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just did a quick basic internet search and it looks like the LED light retails for $600 to $700. An incandescent is around $150 to $200. I am going to assume you already have the incandescent in you contract. If that's the case your builder is actually charging you for the built in price of the incandescent plus the retail up charge on the LED. I would ask them if they can meet you in the middle and do the LED for an additional $500 or $550. I have found that asking costs you nothing worst thing they can say is no, but not asking can be expensive.

Yes I do have first hand experience with this. When I built my pool I had a 500W incandescent bulb in it. The bugs were killin me. I retrofitted it to LED after about 6 months (not because of bugs, but because I wanted the color changing)and instantly noticed within an hour, the lack of swarms of bugs. This was a very nice surprise

I wont say there were NO bugs, but the infestation of them was serously squashed.

We were considering only incandescent, but this is very persuasive. Have you experienced firsthand the difference in bug attraction between the two? Otherwise, in our situation, I'm not sure the added cost would be worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I did. Just swapped bulbs.
the 120V LED bulb goes for about 300.00

On some of the setups, the bulbs are interchangeable. So if you wanted to upgrade later, you can switch out an incandescent for LED bulb using the same niche.

I underestimated how much I personally would enjoy our LED's. They're awesome. They were $1,100 for two.

Yes, few bugs. Many fewer than others pools with incandescent.

I also paid $600 a light. Seems to be the going rate.

I notice that the Jandy models I see online have a stainless steel face ring.

Will that be OK with a salt water system ?

Mine look like the day they were new. Pool installed August 2013. And my pool has been running ~4,500ppm salt for most of that time. I recently lowered it to 4,000ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.