Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I upgrade to Jandy watercolor LED from incandescent?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I upgrade to Jandy watercolor LED from incandescent?

Getting ready to set up electrical today, still debating incandescent vs LED, builder says 600 -700 to upgrade to Jandy LED. Is that a reasonable price for a new build, Is it worth it?
    In Ground 17X29 90 ft perimeter; 3.5 to 5 depth; 15,000 gallons, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed, Jandy 450 SQ cartridge, Jandy JXi 400K BTU NG, POLARIS 280 W/ HP booster pump, North Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I upgrade to Jandy watercolor LED from incandescent?

That seems about right. How many lights is that upgrade price for? I put LEDs in when I built our pool and I love them. I have them turn on every night for a couple hours via automation for ambiance. It is nice to have them change colors. An LED won't be as bright as an incandescent so if you have one incandescent in your pool, I'd put in two LEDs.
    40K Gallon gunite chlorine diving pool with spa, Blue Granite finish
    Jandy Watercolors LED lights (2 pool, 1 spa)
    Jandy equipment with RS8 controller
    Borates added in the form of Borax and Acid.
    Prosper Texas

3. Back To Top    #3

The price sounds about right.

Some folks like LEDs and some dont, so its pretty much a personal thing.

A couple of big positives about them, is they use hardly any electricity
    LEDs do not attract bugs like incandescent lights do. I found this in iteself to be worth the money of switching over.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Great points! Didn't know about the bugs, that alone would be a great deal!

Thanks LED it is.
    In Ground 17X29 90 ft perimeter; 3.5 to 5 depth; 15,000 gallons, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed, Jandy 450 SQ cartridge, Jandy JXi 400K BTU NG, POLARIS 280 W/ HP booster pump, North Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TriPool View Post
    Great points! Didn't know about the bugs, that alone would be a great deal!

Thanks LED it is.
    I haven't had mine installed yet but I wanted to say that the price is what I paid. I got 2 for $1200. The other reason we got them was my daughter wanted "rainbow" lights haha.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post

A couple of big positives about them, is they use hardly any electricity
    LEDs do not attract bugs like incandescent lights do. I found this in iteself to be worth the money of switching over.
    We were considering only incandescent, but this is very persuasive. Have you experienced firsthand the difference in bug attraction between the two? Otherwise, in our situation, I'm not sure the added cost would be worth it.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing i would add is the ability to change the colors is super cool and the Cobalt Blue in the pool and Caribbean Blue in the spa is very pretty! Not only do LEDs last longer and take less electricity (I think) its also an ambiance thing. To me its like having dimmers in your house - although we are kinda crazy and have the Phillips Hue lights downstairs as we like the different colors and the ability to control our house lights from our phones. I say go with LED's but its not my $$$$
    18.720K gallons. Geometric pool with Spa. 16-6'x40-13'; 512sf; 116ft perim; depth 3.6'-7'. 7' raised spa, 6 jets; Jandy equipment; 2 color LEDs; 3 deck jets, 3 stone scuppers, 21'-12" raised wall Ledgestone, 13'-18" raised wall ledgestone, 2-2x2x2 pillars with Ledgestone.

8. Back To Top    #8

I paid $600 to upgrade to the Jandy watercolor and love it. Get it or you will regret it the first time you see one in somebody else's pool.
    10k gallon freeform, 3.5-5ft, Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP, Jandy 200sq/ft cartridge, Jandy watercolor LED, 600sq/ft Travertine Decking, 12x7 ledge w/bubbler and umbrella sleeve, 100ft of baby fence with self closing gate, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite w/ablalone shells, Build Start 5/27/15 and completed on 7/15/15.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I was charged more to upgrade than that - but I can't remember. I like them - I like being able to change the colors. But for me it isn't as fancy as I had imagined it in my head. I have 2 in my pool and 1 in my spa - the spa - is KNOCKOUT when they are on - but the pool - even with 2 isn't as bright as I was thinking it would be. I would probably do it again - but if I HAD to cut costs - it wouldn't kill me to cut it.

Not sure if it matters - mine are Glo Brites.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

10. Back To Top    #10

We have 2 in the pool along with a color LED bubbler light and they are great. It makes swimming at night really relaxing.
    16.5 x 34 gunite freeform/angular, 3.5-5.5 ft depth, traditional chlorine, 6ft of benches, sun shelf, 2 Bermuda skimmers/5 directional inlets, 3hp VS Pentair pump, 30in Pentair sand filter, Legend cleaner w/booster, 2 - 5G LED color lights, LED color bubbler, flagstone coping, 600 sq ft kool deck, Wet Edge Satin Matrix-Antigua

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Just did a quick basic internet search and it looks like the LED light retails for $600 to $700. An incandescent is around $150 to $200. I am going to assume you already have the incandescent in you contract. If that's the case your builder is actually charging you for the built in price of the incandescent plus the retail up charge on the LED. I would ask them if they can meet you in the middle and do the LED for an additional $500 or $550. I have found that asking costs you nothing worst thing they can say is no, but not asking can be expensive.

12. Back To Top    #12

On some of the setups, the bulbs are interchangeable. So if you wanted to upgrade later, you can switch out an incandescent for LED bulb using the same niche.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes I do have first hand experience with this. When I built my pool I had a 500W incandescent bulb in it. The bugs were killin me. I retrofitted it to LED after about 6 months (not because of bugs, but because I wanted the color changing)and instantly noticed within an hour, the lack of swarms of bugs. This was a very nice surprise

I wont say there were NO bugs, but the infestation of them was serously squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    We were considering only incandescent, but this is very persuasive. Have you experienced firsthand the difference in bug attraction between the two? Otherwise, in our situation, I'm not sure the added cost would be worth it.
    - - - Updated - - -

This is what I did. Just swapped bulbs.
    the 120V LED bulb goes for about 300.00

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    On some of the setups, the bulbs are interchangeable. So if you wanted to upgrade later, you can switch out an incandescent for LED bulb using the same niche.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

I notice that the Jandy models I see online have a stainless steel face ring.

Will that be OK with a salt water system ?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post

I wont say there were NO bugs, but the infestation of them was serously squashed.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I did. Just swapped bulbs.
    the 120V LED bulb goes for about 300.00
    .....NO bugs.....seriously squashed. LOL!!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

16. Back To Top    #16

pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    .....NO bugs.....seriously squashed. LOL!!
    Divin Dave,

17. Back To Top    #17

I like your sense of humor!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I underestimated how much I personally would enjoy our LED's. They're awesome. They were $1,100 for two.

Yes, few bugs. Many fewer than others pools with incandescent.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

I also paid $600 a light. Seems to be the going rate.

Quote Originally Posted by albert436 View Post
    I notice that the Jandy models I see online have a stainless steel face ring.

Will that be OK with a salt water system ?
    Mine look like the day they were new. Pool installed August 2013. And my pool has been running ~4,500ppm salt for most of that time. I recently lowered it to 4,000ppm.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks JV 92, good info !

I guess the standard regular lights are around $75, so the $600 is an upgrade all right.

Could do it later, I'll have experience after replacing the old one that is in there now.