Help, I need pool pump advise please!!

Jun 22, 2014
Long Island, NY
I'd like to jump on this thread please...
I am in NY. Have a 20x40 IGP with a slide. The pool is plumbed with 2 inch all around but reduced at the pump to inch and a half.
I have replaced my 1.5hp hayward super pump with a 1.5hp hayward super VS pump. At full throttle, 3000rpm it is barely pulling water through the skimmers. And the water pressure at the returns is weak. Additionally, the water is not making the climb to the top of the slide (kids are not happy).
Does not appear to be any leaks, no air in the DE filter, and not losing water.
Could it be this is not strong enough for my pool? Should I go back to a regular hayward super pump? Is it worth upgrading to a larger VS? Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You have a major restriction somewhere or your pump is not priming.

Pump running, is their water sloshing around in the pump basket? Is it completely full of water? Is it completely empty of water?

I have a 20x40, 1 1/2" piping all around, with a 1.5hp Hayward VS pump. I set my daytime V2 program at 2160rpm, which runs about 550 watts and approximates my previous 3/4hp super pump. On my pool, I'd be afraid the full 3000rpm would blow out an old fitting underground.

Maybe its cavitating at the reducer at the pump? Have you tried slower speeds and do they also not produce return flow?

-R

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You have a major restriction somewhere or your pump is not priming.

Pump running, is their water sloshing around in the pump basket? Is it completely full of water? Is it completely empty of water?

I agree there is something amiss.

Like others I have 2" plumbing, had a 2HP super pump. replaced it with the Hayward 1.5HP super pump VS with 1.5" ports.
I also run @ 2200RPM when the heater is used. at that speed i get water flow equal to my old single speed pump.
At 3000RPM i think the bugs & squirrels can surf the waves made by some of the returns!

If your sure you have no restriction, no leaks or sucking air and it's priming, Id call Hayward support. they have always been good to me when Ive called them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.