Automated or Manual for Solar Heating - New build in FL

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
New IG pool build in Florida. 2 Story House with large roof facing SSW, will have a Pentair VS Pump.

PB says " The automatic control for it is a waste of $$ " - I have not spoken to him yet to find out why he says that but plan to.

On a 50k total pool build another $300 is not that much.

I have spoken to 2 people that have solar. One has automation and likes it, the other does not believe in automation. :)

Is a stand along solar automation system worth it?

Yes, absolutely. Unless you are there to shut off the solar valve every time it rains or gets cloudy. Solar panels will cool your pool if the temp is lower than the pool water. I manually ran my solar for a while by trying to guess whether I would get heat or not based on the weather forecast. Some days my pool would be cooler after work than before work. It has been a couple of years but my pool was around 8 degrees warmer on average after adding the Solartouch. Although, I would get the Suntouch if I had done better research.

I agree, go with automation. We just put in solar and originally I was against putting in the automation. But the solartouch is very simple and works great with the pump. And our pool would constantly go over temp if we didn't have it.

Nice discussion, thanks.

How to know how many sq ft of H2O panels are needed to warm per degree and 1,000 gallons ? Ballparking of course.

I'm in the San Diego area. Lots of sun here, low humidity and not much rain.

Personally I would not let anyone that thinks a solar controller was a waste of money in Florida where thermal thunderstorms are common in the spring anywhere near installing a solar pool heater.

We have a 30k gallon pool in Rhode Island. I spoke with a bunch of solar professionals about coverage. We could only fit 50% coverage on a south-east facing roof. I am happy to say that it has truly transformed our pool. We use the pool every day now. We have the system set to 90, and it's hit that almost every day since it was installed in mid June. Some mornings it hits 90 before noon, so the controller is necessary IMHO. We are thinking of turning it down to 87-88 as it can get cold when you get out. Best investment we have made in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.