Multiple SWGs

Aug 19, 2015
Maine
New member but long time lurker. I am looking to convert to a saltwater system my 18x36 in ground liner pool. Surprisingly, for the cost, the intex seems to get great reviews. The problem for me is that the unit is not large enough for my pool. With that, and again given the price, can you run multiple SWGs for on pool?

Any help is appreciated....

hmmm,

1. yes, you can run multiple SWG
2. I think you would need about 4 or 5 intex SWG and they seem to be lasting 1 or 2 seasons, some more.... so that would be 400 to 500 dollars every 2 years or so... not to mention plugging in and running 4 or 5 SWG
3 you would need to hard pipe 4 or 5 SWG into your plumbing and that would be crazzy looking but you would need some kind of clear pipe to see if 1 was not making chlorine.

1 intex SWG will create 12 grams of chlorine in 1 hour, ran 24 hours would create 0.634932 pounds of chlorine.. 1 SI60 will create 3.1 pounds per day so that is where I am getting the 4 to 5 SWG and to match the SI 60 you would need 5 SWG's..

You would save money in the long run with an inground SWG 2 to 3 times bigger than your pool that would last 4 to 7 years and then you just change out the cell...

There is actually a thread here somewhere (no I didn't take the time to look) where a guy ran two Intex swcg's in parallel. If I remember correctly they worked pretty well. If you could find a couple of the units without the copper bars, they put out about twice as much as the ones with the bars.

There are also several threads where people are running Intex swcg's on inground and permanent above ground pools.

Yes, I know someone who does. You can pick up Intex SWG on sale in late summer from Target or Academy to 80-100 bucks. They work great but seem to only last about 3 years. They make one that is rated for 7000 or 8000 gallons. +1 on no copper.

Being a newbie, can someone please explain the copper recommendation?

Aside from the intex, which I understand you get what you pay for, what is a good reasonably priced system that would work with a variable speed pump?

Intex makes SWGs with or without copper electrodes. Copper Electrode For Saltwater System And Sand Filter Combo - Intex Copper is thought to inhibit algae growth. TFP does not support this theory. TFP promotes proper chlorination to prevent algae and that copper causes metal staining in pools and also can turn blond hair green.

Any saltwater chlorine generator will work with a variable speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.