Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low PSi maybe

1. Back To Top    #1

Low PSi maybe

My motor died the other night. I went and got a replacement motor. I purchase it last night and installed it. By the time I got done it was dark. This afternoon I got home pump was running I have it on a timer. I checked psi was four. I usally run at nine or ten. I am not sure if gauge is broken. I thought maybe had gasket in wrong or something. I broke it down again everything was fine. I am getting decent outlflow but I would feel better if PSi was higher. I called over to pool store talked to man who sold me motor he seems to think I am chasing broken gage. When I broke it down earlier I cleaned filter it's a cartridge was not that dirty cleaned it few weeks ago. The strainer basket is clean because it is brand new. I checked all connections nothing clogged. I mean hard to tell by looking at it but maybe I am being paranoid. Is there anything else I can try? He said if you put hand in front of return in pool and pushes your hand away should be okay. It does but not what I am used to. Also I don't look at psi every day if pump is running I don't look at it.

The pool is above ground 18 foot round about 8500 gallons

Hi-Flo II Side Discharge 48-Frame

Thank you
    AGP Vinly Liner 18 Ft Round
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low PSi maybe

Did you check the impeller to see if anything is stuck in the vanes? Also, make sure you install the diffuser and impeller ring properly if the pump has one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I checked the impeller. There is no impeller ring. I don't think it has a diffuser.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pump an exact replacement? Is it wired properly?

5. Back To Top    #5

How about any changes in valve settings?

1380ken, the OP changed only the motor and if it wasn't wired properly, it would not run. Also, a motor change would not change PSI.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

No changes in valve settings, yes pump is wired properly.

Thank you
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

After turning on the pump, tap the gauge and see if it moves.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes I tried that does not move.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is turned off?

Have you tried a new gauge?
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, gauge goes to zero when off. I have not tried new gauge.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

It is either the gauge or something else in the plumbing has changed. Those are the only two possibilities for a filter pressure change with the same pump.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

This is a new pump with same plumbing. I don't think it is gauge. Pool is not cleaning right.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonjohn1961 View Post
    My motor died the other night. I went and got a replacement motor. I purchase it last night and installed it
    Ok, so did you really mean that your got a replacement PUMP and not a replacement motor. Big difference and can explain the difference in pressure.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

I sent a link above there is a motor attached sorry for the confusion. I called back over to pool store I got another guy he said try clearing cartridge. I know it's not that but tried it anyway. No change. It looks like water is not being sucked into the strainer basket fast enough.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

If the new pump has a lower head curve than your previous pump, then the filter pressure will be lower and flow rates will be lower.
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

I am sorry to be so dense but not sure what you mean. I took the exact same inbound connection and attached it to new strainer basket. I took it off old strainer basket. The connection that goes to the filter is the same exact size and type as the old pump/motor had. I agree with you something is impacting flow rate but I can't figure out what it is the connections look the same as the original. I can't keep pool clean though the way it is operating now.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

17. Back To Top    #17

Different pump means different performance (i.e. different head curves). Has nothing to do with the way you install the pump.

In the link posted, it shows a head curve. It is probably lower than the old the pump's head curve so the new pump will produce lower flow rates and lower pressure on exactly the same plumbing. It has to do with the pump, not the plumbing.

This is a head curve:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok got it. Thanks Do you think I should return the unit then?
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

If it isn't performing the way you want it too, then maybe you should. But is it really not performing well? Low pressure and lower flow rates are a good thing, not a bad thing. Filters work better and you use less energy. Probably the most important aspect of flow rate is skimming. If the skimmer is working then there is probably no issue with lower flow rates.
    Mark

20. Back To Top    #20

Okay thanks for the help. I will think about it. I am going to try to get a hold of my neighbor. He has lot of knowledge on pools. I will check back in if I can get a hold of him.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast