Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to measure DE for filter

1. Back To Top    #1

How to measure DE for filter

I'm not sure I'm using the correct measure of DE when I reload my filter after a backwash. I'm using the 1lb 13oz blue plastic Maxwell coffee containers. My filter is a Pentair FNS Plus 36. How many containers of DE should I use on startup (after I have cleaned the filters at the start of the season) and how many after I backwash during the season?

I am seeing very tiny pieces of debris on top of the pool, and am worried that the filter is not loaded properly. Of course, the pool sits under a live oak, and there is constant material falling in especially during a rain storm or even mild winds.

thank you,

ed
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to measure DE for filter

Each pound is about 48 fluid ounces (volume). Your filter needs about 4 lbs on a fresh start and about 3.5 lbs after a good backwash.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Also, 1lb of DE is equal to 2 1lb coffee cans. DE is 1/2 as heavy as coffee.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by OldPoolMan View Post
    Also, 1lb of DE is equal to 2 1lb coffee cans. DE is 1/2 as heavy as coffee.
    This is good info. So I can calculate that a 1lb 13oz container is actually about 15 oz of DE, so if I need 3.5 lbs to recharge after a good backwash, I'll need roughly 4 containers of the containers.

Is there a danger if I over charge the DE?

thx

- - - Updated - - -

that is, "4 containers of the DE"
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

The amount of de isn't critical, but you should try to get close to the recommended amount.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I weigh it on a postage scale. That way I know I have the right amount.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit