Cloudy water

Aug 6, 2015
Lexington ky
I've been fighting cloudy water since hooking up my new sand filter and swg. Water was totally green before starting. I've gotten it to an almost clear look but still cloudy on bottom. Took a sample to pool store and of course he wanted to sell me 150.00 worth of fix it stuff and said my chlorine almost was non existent. I added bleach and stabilizer to boost it thinking my swg wasn't keeping up because it was so green to start with Then I just got my T100 test kit today. Tested water my chlorine level must be off the charts because I did the chlorine drop test and 40 drops in it was still a purplish pink. And I did the one in the basic test kit, the ph looked normal 7.5 but again the chlorine didn't even match the color on the kit. The colors on the kit are greenish yellow , my sample is almost orange.
And my alkalinity test is off too, says it should turn red it's more like a light yellow. My cya is 65 . Any idea where I'm going wrong ???

Welcome to TFP!

When you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test, what sample size did you do? You want to do the 10ml sample size so that' each drop is .5 FC rather than the 25ml sample size where each drop is .2

Well, a few tings you might want to consider:
1 - If your FC (chlorine) really is high, don't bother with pH testing. It will be off. Don't test or adjust with high FC.
2- You have a TF-100, so don't bother with the pool store. In fact, post a full set of numbers for us now so we can make a better informed decision.
3 - Green before (changing a little by now) sound like algae. Chlorine/bleach via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain is the way forward.

IF your CYA is 65 (say 70), then SLAM FC level is 28. Follow the SLAM page and stay at 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Let us know if you have any other questions.

High CH can have an impact in some situations, but normally isn't a factor for AG vinyl pools. And since you stated the water was green, we already can assume you have algae growing. I would suggest implementing the SLAM first to remove the algae, then "if" the water still appears cloudy, we can address that specifically later.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - you DO have a SWG, so the high CH may be an issue for that. But still suggest the SLAM at which point the SWG should be turned-off anyways during the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not dumb at all. Best to be clear on your first SLAM. Very common. But now you can put it all together by looking at the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Your CYA (rounded-up to 70) makes the SLAM FC level 28. Now that's all you need to focus on until you pass the 3 criteria. Good luck, and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask.

That certainly can be an option, but I would recommend to hold-off for now. Let your system filter and process what it can normally since you will be doing several backwashes anyways. The sand should grab the larger dead algae debris. Towards the end of the SLAM, some people will add DE to assist with the fine-tuning and water clarity. But I suspect right now is just a bit too soon. I may however, get over-rided by another opinion. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.