Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

I've been fighting cloudy water since hooking up my new sand filter and swg. Water was totally green before starting. I've gotten it to an almost clear look but still cloudy on bottom. Took a sample to pool store and of course he wanted to sell me 150.00 worth of fix it stuff and said my chlorine almost was non existent. I added bleach and stabilizer to boost it thinking my swg wasn't keeping up because it was so green to start with Then I just got my T100 test kit today. Tested water my chlorine level must be off the charts because I did the chlorine drop test and 40 drops in it was still a purplish pink. And I did the one in the basic test kit, the ph looked normal 7.5 but again the chlorine didn't even match the color on the kit. The colors on the kit are greenish yellow , my sample is almost orange.
    And my alkalinity test is off too, says it should turn red it's more like a light yellow. My cya is 65 . Any idea where I'm going wrong ???
    5000 k AG hard plumbed intex , intex sand filter pump&SWG cg-28679, Hayward in wall skimmer, Tf-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!

When you did the FAS-DPD chlorine test, what sample size did you do? You want to do the 10ml sample size so that' each drop is .5 FC rather than the 25ml sample size where each drop is .2
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I did the 10 ml sample in the cylinder . I just tested my CL and it's coming up high at around 600. Could that cause the cloudy water.
    5000 k AG hard plumbed intex , intex sand filter pump&SWG cg-28679, Hayward in wall skimmer, Tf-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, a few tings you might want to consider:
    1 - If your FC (chlorine) really is high, don't bother with pH testing. It will be off. Don't test or adjust with high FC.
    2- You have a TF-100, so don't bother with the pool store. In fact, post a full set of numbers for us now so we can make a better informed decision.
    3 - Green before (changing a little by now) sound like algae. Chlorine/bleach via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain is the way forward.

IF your CYA is 65 (say 70), then SLAM FC level is 28. Follow the SLAM page and stay at 28 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

CH calcium hardness not CL . Sorry

6. Back To Top    #6

600 FC test doesn't make sense. I suspect there's a testing error or confusion somewhere perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhh, gotcha.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

High CH can have an impact in some situations, but normally isn't a factor for AG vinyl pools. And since you stated the water was green, we already can assume you have algae growing. I would suggest implementing the SLAM first to remove the algae, then "if" the water still appears cloudy, we can address that specifically later.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction - you DO have a SWG, so the high CH may be an issue for that. But still suggest the SLAM at which point the SWG should be turned-off anyways during the SLAM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes I have a Intex SWG sand filter combo

9. Back To Top    #9

While you are doing your SLAM, please see this thread on SWG pools with high CH: Any downside to running an SWG pool with fairly high CH?. Hopefully this will help you afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

And another good discussion: SWG vs. BBB for High CH Water

10. Back To Top    #10

I figured out my FC is 43

11. Back To Top    #11

Oooh weeee! That's up there. Just let it sink back down on it's own. Shouldn't take too long. Then you can keep it at your ideal 28 SLAM.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. I have been reading on how to SLAM , I thought slamming was getting your FC levels higher . Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm new to pool chemistry .

13. Back To Top    #13

Not dumb at all. Best to be clear on your first SLAM. Very common. But now you can put it all together by looking at the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Your CYA (rounded-up to 70) makes the SLAM FC level 28. Now that's all you need to focus on until you pass the 3 criteria. Good luck, and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask.

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you recommend adding any DE to my sand filter to speed up the process?

15. Back To Top    #15

That certainly can be an option, but I would recommend to hold-off for now. Let your system filter and process what it can normally since you will be doing several backwashes anyways. The sand should grab the larger dead algae debris. Towards the end of the SLAM, some people will add DE to assist with the fine-tuning and water clarity. But I suspect right now is just a bit too soon. I may however, get over-rided by another opinion.

16. Back To Top    #16

How often should I backwash the filter?

17. Back To Top    #17

You may see a few variances here based on personal preference, but basically when your psi raises anywhere from about 5-10 psi from normal clean pressure. Then it's probably time to backwash.

18. Back To Top    #18

Update , Water is now crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

Outstanding! Another success story!

20. Back To Top    #20

Woohoo!

Backwash when the filter pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach