Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time?

How long should I run pump after adding bleach in the evenings? Thanks...
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time?

I run mine 6 hours or so a day on average and it's a small pool. I run the pump around 4 hours at night after adding chlorine (I also brush the pool), then a couple hours during the day. I don't think you have to wait more than 30 minutes to an hour to test if you want to make sure the chlorine you added hit the target you were shooting for.
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump run time?

To make sure we address your specific question, the following is verbatim from the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!