problem with very stubborn algae

Aug 19, 2015
Phoenix/AZ
Hello, while I was looking for solutions to get rid of algae from our pool, I found this forum, so I am here to ask for advice.

We have been taking care of this pool for 5 years and never had a problem, but starting two months ago we've been battling with algae growing on the grouts of the tile just below the water line.
Two months ago our pump broke and since then we've been battling with algae.
We have shocked the pool, brushed the algae, cleaned the filters, kept the chlorine high, but the algae keeps on coming back, just on the grout of the tile... the water is nice and clear.

Today I went to the pool store to test the water and make sure the readings we have from our kit was correct and this is what we got:

FC 6
TAC 6
salt 2900
calcium hardness 475
CYA 70
TA 90
pH 7.4
copper 0
iron 0
Pho 300

what should we do?
thanks in advance... meanwhile I'll read around the forum to get more information.

Assuming those pool store results are accurate (because they often aren't!) your CYA is 70 (good!) which means your SLAM level to keep the chlorine at while killing an algae outbreak should be 28ppm. How are you reaching this level and maintaining it until the algae is gone? When you say you "shocked" it- what does that mean to you? Sometimes folks don't realize that the algae is reproducing pretty fast and not only do you have to arrest that, you have to maintain the higher level of FC until all the algae is dead and gone. Kind of like taking antibiotics for 10 days even though your sore throat felt better after 2 days. Capisce?

First off- do you have your own test kit? You need one because to get rid of algae you need to test higher levels of FC and test often. Who wants to run to the pool store for their questionable tests almost hourly? not me! TF-100 or Taylor's K-2006 are the ONLY test kits we trust. Both avail from TFTestkits.net

Then you need to stock up on liquid chlorine... either from the pool or hardware store or plain old liquid bleach from the grocery store. This is your algae killer here. Nothing else.

Start reading PoolSchool (top right of this page) and focus on this-
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.