Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Here are my numbers:
    FC - 3.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 100
    CH - 250
    CYA - 70
    Salt - 3,450

    I'm running my SWG for CH now, no pucks or adding bleach, for the past week each morning when I test (after 30 minutes of pump running) my FC is between 3 and 3.5 or minimum based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart with my target being 5. I run my pump/SWG for 9 hours each day with the swg set at 75%.

    What would you recommend as my tweak to get to 5 every morning? Increase pump run-time or up my SWG %?

    I debated where to post this here or in SWG so mod if you think the other area is more appropriate please move.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    I have the same question. My pool opened for the first time in May. In the beginning, I had 9 hours of pump run time at 60% on the SWG. I found that I was overshooting on FC after a bit and so I reduced the run time to 8 hours. As the summer got hotter, I increased pump run time back up to 9 hours and then when I was borderline on the FC I raised the SWG to 80%. Now as the days are getting shorter I've kept the SWG at 80% but dropped the run time back down to 8 hours.

    My assumption is that for the SWG life, 8 hours @ 100% is the same as 10 hours @ 80% so it would seem that maximum efficiency would be to run it with the shorter pump time with max SWG output. As long as that amount of pump run time is sufficient to keep your pool skimmed.

    That's newbie advice so take it with a grain of salt
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    That is pretty good newbie advice!

    Either is fine and it makes no difference, the SWG will be working and generating the same amount of chlorine whether it runs 100% for 5 hours or 50% for 10 hours. So, it is cheaper to increase the percentage because you aren't running the pump longer. Of course, that intelliflo pump is cheap to operate at low speeds so it probably doesn't matter much. I make chlorine with my pump at 1100 rpm which only uses 150 watts.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  4. Back To Top    #4
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,482

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    QingGuy,

    What is the size of your cell? 9 Hours at 75% should get you to well above 5 ppm. I run for 4 hours at 50% and have a FC level of over 5 ppm with about the same size pool. So unless you have a very small cell, something is not right.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    QingGuy,

    What is the size of your cell? 9 Hours at 75% should get you to well above 5 ppm. I run for 4 hours at 50% and have a FC level of over 5 ppm with about the same size pool. So unless you have a very small cell, something is not right.
    Intelichlor 40
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  6. Back To Top    #6
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,482

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    The IC40 produces 1.4 lbs/24 hr or adding about 1.7 ppm per day with your schedule and settings. So your extinction rate is about 33% which seems a little high for a CYA of 70 ppm even if you don't cover the pool.

    Have you tried an OCLT?

    If you pass OCLT and want to increase FC, then I would increase the SWG % to 100% to get to 4.7 ppm which should be good enough.

    BTW, the minimum FC level for an SWG is around 3.5 ppm for a CYA of 70 ppm so you are probably ok at that level as long as you don't let it dip any further.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    I haven't tried the OCLT, I can. My pool is full Vegas sun all day 7:00 a.m. to sunset and I don't use a cover.

    Would you recommend OCLT? Going to have four teenage boys in the pool for a couple hours this afternoon will that create any issues with doing OCLT tonight?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  8. Back To Top    #8
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,482

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    The only reason I am recommending OCLT is that the FC extinction seems a bit high and it would just eliminate that as a cause. An OCLT is done after sundown so after everyone is out of the pool and the sun is down, you would measure FC and then once again in the morning. Make sure to mix the water before measuring but without adding any chlorine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Make sure to mix the water before measuring but without adding any chlorine.
    What exactly do you mean when you say mix. Do you mean mix or stir the water in the pool and then take my sample? Would turning on my water features for 5 minutes (sheer descent and two pots) create enough movement? These are not connected to my SWG BTW.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  10. Back To Top    #10
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,482

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Yea. Anything to stir up the water would be fine.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    8:30 p.m.
    FC - 3.5
    CC - Barely a trace

    Wouldn't one think that after 9 hr of SWG running during the day my FC would be higher than 3.5? Will test prior to sun coming-up.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    This mornings results
    6:15 a.m.
    FC - 3
    CC - Trace

    So a loss of .5 overnight. Any thoughts on even with running my SWG 9 hours a day my CC is so low?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  13. Back To Top    #13
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,588

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    This mornings results
    6:15 a.m.
    FC - 3
    CC - Trace

    So a loss of .5 overnight. Any thoughts on even with running my SWG 9 hours a day my CC is so low?
    Just be happy it is. There's no reason to be concerned with CCs if they are low. That's a good thing. CCs levels can be affected by organic matter, bather load, sunlight, etc. as long as they are less than 0.5ppm, you're good.

    Your bigger concern is your FC. You are right on the edge of the acceptable lower limit. You need to increase your FC some more.


    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The only reason I am recommending OCLT is that the FC extinction seems a bit high and it would just eliminate that as a cause. An OCLT is done after sundown so after everyone is out of the pool and the sun is down, you would measure FC and then once again in the morning. Make sure to mix the water before measuring but without adding any chlorine.
    So what are your thoughts based on my OCLT, seems odd that my FC numbers are not higher.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Your bigger concern is your FC. You are right on the edge of the acceptable lower limit. You need to increase your FC some more.
    Right, so I guess I just need to decide whether to run my pump longer or increase my SWG output from the current 75% setting. Or, do I maintain current settings, bleach to FC 5 and see if it maintains 5?

    Also wanted to mention I'm confident in my CYA reading.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  15. Back To Top    #15
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,482

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    The easiest and least costly thing to do is to raise the SWG setting. 100% should get you close enough.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The easiest and least costly thing to do is to raise the SWG setting. 100% should get you close enough.
    So you wouldn't bleach to 5 and see if my current settings can keep it there?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    So you wouldn't bleach to 5 and see if my current settings can keep it there?
    If it were mine I would bump it up with bleach and turn the SWG to 100% and see what happens over the weekend.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    For giggles I upped the CH to 5 (recommended level for my CYA) and I'm going to keep SWG and pump time as is and monitor for the next few days. I cannot imagine that my SWG @ 75% cannot maintain 5 ppm. I'll update with my experience.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Make sure the cell is clean of scale as that can cut down on the production rate.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    452

    Re: Tweaking either pump run time or SWG % to get to optimum FC level

    Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Make sure the cell is clean of scale as that can cut down on the production rate.
    Checked it prior to installing (less than 30 days ago, new pool) and everything looked good. Installed about 5 weeks after pool was filled, all plaster dust was gone. I do know it has a self clean cycle it does after 30 days, maybe that will bump up production, wish I could remember the day in installed it.

    Also thought I'd add I LOVE pool math. Added the exact amount of bleach it recommended, tested 40 minutes later and dead on 5 ppm!
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •