Muriatic acid??

So I need to weigh it not measure it with cups:scratch:.. Huh!!

i am using this website to convert weight to volume Weight to Volume conversions for common substances and materials

I weigh solid chemicals and use volume measurements for liquid chemicals. The reason I posted previously is that PoolMath does indeed use both weight and volume for any chemical addition. As usual, the folks here at TFP go above and beyond in case you have one measuring capability only! KUDOS again for this amazing resource.

From another thread I went ahead and bought this from amazon, Amazon.com: Hopkins 10106B/6 FloTool Spill Saver Trans Fluid and Gear Oil On-Off Filler Refill: Automotive.

This worked perfect for dosing the acid. I installed the filler on the acid bottle, uncapped the tube and put it in the water. The filler has a twist action to open the tube and lets the acid trickle out of the tube and into the water. When done, twist the filler closed and let the remaining acid in the tube drain out into the pool. There's no chance of the fumes getting into the air and the flow rate of the acid is perfect to prevent it from sinking to the bottom of the pool when poured next to a return jet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Argosy,
I use the 14.5% (9.8* Baume)MA from my local HD. Maybe it's just me but I just don't smell any of the fumes while pouring this stuff in my pool. I guess it's from the lower strength than what people usually think of MA which is probably a higher strength 20 baume* (31.45%). Sounds like the anyone having issues with MA additions using a higher strength MA should look into finding this lower strength MA first before resorting to dry acid. Sure it's lower strength then the 20 baume* (31.45%) stuff so you will need to add more to compensate (pool calculator has the 14.5% strength option). Also, because it's about half strength it is lower price compared to the stronger stuff so you'll need to buy double the amount. My HD sells the 14.5% MA in 2x carton packs (2x 128oz jugs) for $11. My Ace hardware sells the 31.45% stuff for $7.50 per gallon which is more cost effective than the 2x 14.5% jugs but since it's a farther drive the cost savings is mitigated for me by the convenience of my local HD being so close.

Gloves and Goggles? If there are kids watching then sure, safety first. But I don't use gloves or goggles when I add MA. Pour the MA SLOWLY into the pool about 2-5 inches above the water near a return jet. If I'm adding more than 1/2 a jug I'll slowly walk while adding, about 4-5 feet total walking distance. No splashing ever. I've been adding MA to pools for some 30 years now and never had any issues.

ping - how has it stood up to the acid? is the tube getting stiff? and discoloration. If this works that good I might start suggesting it to those folks that think MA is bad. I'm not one of them, but there are a few out there.

ping - how has it stood up to the acid? is the tube getting stiff? and discoloration. If this works that good I might start suggesting it to those folks that think MA is bad. I'm not one of them, but there are a few out there.

I have not used it long enough to give any input on how long it will hold up. After each use I unscrew it from the container and dunk it in the pool and so far it is like new after a months use. I could probably leave it connected to the container once installed but I don't have issues with fumes as I keep the acid at arms length and in 3 seconds the filler is on the container.

Pool stores usually carry the higher strength (31.45%) stuff. With HD/Lowe's selling two gallons of 14.5% for $11, that works out to 29.6 cents/%-oz.

My local Leslies sells two gallons of 31.45% for $15 and that works out to 18.6 cents/%-oz so the pool store actually has a significantly better deal for once.

Pool stores usually carry the higher strength (31.45%) stuff. With HD/Lowe's selling two gallons of 14.5% for $11, that works out to 29.6 cents/%-oz.

My local Leslies sells two gallons of 31.45% for $15 and that works out to 18.6 cents/%-oz so the pool store actually has a significantly better deal for once.

The Home Depots around here have until recently 2 gals of 14.5% for $11, and 2 gals of 31% for $12 (the latter marked "Contractor Strength" and in/near the same pile outside). However, last week the HD I was in only had the 14.5%, and the HD and Lowes sites only show that. Are others seeing the "contractor strength" boxes no longer at HD? I'll be checking another HD today; otherwise my pool store's 31% for I think $15/2gal is going to be the best deal.

The Home Depots around here have until recently 2 gals of 14.5% for $11, and 2 gals of 31% for $12 (the latter marked "Contractor Strength" and in/near the same pile outside). However, last week the HD I was in only had the 14.5%, and the HD and Lowes sites only show that. Are others seeing the "contractor strength" boxes no longer at HD? I'll be checking another HD today; otherwise my pool store's 31% for I think $15/2gal is going to be the best deal.

To answer my own question, another HD in the area tonight had both the 14.5% for $10.98/2gal and 31.45% (which doesn't say "contractor strength" on it anymore) for $11.98/2gal. I'll be interested to see if this is just a store by store inventory or if they are phasing out the stronger stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.