Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muriatic acid??

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic acid??

New pool, new water.. with local testing kit pH is 8.2 and wanted to add muriatic acid as I read in the pool school. but when I went to buy it at Problem with link. Removed by moderator the staff there strictly said no to use IN the pool. They say its for cleaning outside the pool(conceret) ..

So finally got Pool Time 5 lb. pH Down-23320PTM - The Home Depot .. is it ok to use this? this is in powder form.. I can put it in front of a return.. Kindly suggest ..

Thanks
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic acid??

The people at HD don't know what they are talking about. Use the muriatic acid. The powder can settle on the bottom of the pool and damage the liner.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You can get the pool kind at the Lowes in E. Brunswick
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    The people at HD don't know what they are talking about. Use the muriatic acid. The powder can settle on the bottom of the pool and damage the liner.
    Thank you for your reply.. But what if I mix it in a bucket with water and then pour it in front of the return?
    24k IG vinyl , new (not any more)pool, new ( not any more) water Hayward super pump and sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That's what it says to do under "recommended chemicals"

It does add some sulfur, but should be fine until you can get MA.

Dry acid is not recommended if you have a SWG
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

All the big box stores should carry it, usually in the paint department.

Shop Crown 1-Gallon Muriatic Acid at Lowes.com
    Klean-Strip 1 gal. Green Safer Muriatic Acid-GKGM75006 - The Home Depot
    http://www.menards.com/main/paint/so.../p-1479906.htm

The stuff Ace Hardware and Walmart carry is more expensive but it's supposed to have reduced fumes. Important if you have respiratory problems or just hate getting hit with the fumes.
    Certol International Acid Magic Muriatic Acid Replacement - Pool Chemicals - Ace Hardware
    Klean Strip Green Muriatic Acid Gallon - Walmart.com
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

pabeader - Why is Dry Acid bad for SWG?
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

i believe it promotes scale buildup due to the sulfur buildup.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Generally speaking, sodium bisulphate is acceptable but not quite as good as muriatic. It's issue is that it leaves sulfates behind where muriatic leaves NOTHING.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Muriatic Acid leaves behind chloride salt, but that's essentially innocuous. The problem with dry acid is if you use a lot of it and build up sulfates then these can be damaging to plaster/concrete surfaces and as noted can be detrimental to SWG cells.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Well what do you know you learn something new everyday.
    +- 45000 Litre IG, Fibre Glass Pool, 1 HP Pump, some sort of Sand Filter, Sunny South Africa, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you all.. I did see Klean-Strip 1 gal. Green Safer Muriatic Acid but then I that it word b diluted like in case of chlorine (scented etc).. I will return old one and buy this.. I could have asked here before buying, but dint want to be like a 4 yr old asking all sorts of naive questions.. Thanks again..

13. Back To Top    #13

When you measure out your Muriatic Acid, you need to deal with it ASAP, you don't want to be mixing it in water, fiddling around with it. Get in the pool as quickly and CAREFULLY as you can.

It's when you try mixing it in water that it reacts and hits you with the yellow cloud. You donwannanunnadat.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

14. Back To Top    #14

My two cents on adding acid: DO NOT measure outside the container, especially on a large pool, like yours. If Pool Math says you need 30 oz of muriatic acid, take the lid off the container, lower it into the water with the spout/opening still out of the water and pour in about 1/4 of a jug, maybe a little less. Of course, as recommended in Pool School, in front of a return jet with the pump running. Pour slowly. Make sure the wind is not blowing in your face. Fumes are dangerous and can catch you off guard. 30 minutes or more later, recheck your pH.

Measuring in another container is not necessary with a large pool and only exposes you to more risk with MA. The lower concentration, lower fumes, "green" MA available isn't quite as bad for fumes but use the same caution.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Remember Safety 1st ALWAYS- If you premix the liquid acid, or when diluting it in powder form, ALWAYS add the acid to the water, not the water to the acid, because it can splash back on you, and cause burns. Wear goggles or sunglasses to protect your eyes, keep it away from your face and other body parts, and do Not breathe the fumes. Pour into the deep end of the pool if you have one or in front of a jet to quickly disperse it. Avoid getting it on metal, or decking. If it should splash on you or the deck, etc. rinse it off immediately with water.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Measuring in another container is not necessary with a large pool and only exposes you to more risk with MA. The lower concentration, lower fumes, "green" MA available isn't quite as bad for fumes but use the same caution.
    Absolutely JV. Just don't do unnecessary things with it if you don't have too.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Don't do like me.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks.. One more question.. I thot its better I confirm it with u guys before I make another mistake... As this is a new pool I am assuming the CYA would be 0 ( my tf-100 arrives to tomorrow) , as per pool math I have to add 122 oz of granulated CyA if I want it to be 40. My question is I have a measuring cup that has marking either in ml , cup or pint. So if I do the calculations in cup it says 4.23 pints or 8.46 cups.. Is that calculation good as I don't want to raise the CYA. Thanks in advance..

19. Back To Top    #19

This is why I hate the Imperial Measuring system... There are fluid ounces and ounces (weight). Pool Math is outputting ounces for you in weight. So you need 122 ounces, which would be 7 pounds, 10 ounces by weight that you need. All solid, granular outputs from Pool Math are by weight.

EDIT: Pool Math does also have by volume listed for granular/solid materials but I would go by weight. Some CYA granules are very fine, some are very coarse. This would affect the density when measuring by volume. Very fine granule CYA would have more weight per volume than very coarse CYA... Maybe I'm just an uptight science geek.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 08-20-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Revised comments on volume etc.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Actually, PoolMath gives both weight and volume in their recommendations. I use my trusty kitchen scale when adding chemicals and I tried the volume recommendation and it was very close to the same amount of granular CYA.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast