Newly installed spa- cloudy water after startup

Jun 16, 2015
Alpharetta
Hello. I have a pool and spa which are newly constructed and I recently filled the pool and started my pump for the first time. My pump is connected to a sand filter and the return line has a 3 way valve which controls the flow back to the pool and/or spa. The filter has a multi-port valve which controls the flow of water at the filter. I filled the filter with water as well as the pump and connected pipes to/from the pump and filter.

Following the manufacturer's instructions, I primed the pump and ran the pump in order to 'backwash' the filter for a few minutes. I then stopped the pump and set the multi-port valve in the normal 'filter' setting. The intake valves from the spa/pool were set to take water from the spa main drain. The return valve is set to return water to the spa only.

When I run the pump in this 'filter' mode, everything works as I would expect. The filter takes water from the spa and returns it as it should. However, the water in the spa became extremely cloudy at this point. I don't see any sand in the spa, but the water changed from clear to cloudy.

Is this sort of dirt/cloudy water normal when starting up a new sand filter? What would you suggest as a remedy?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I am going to guess the the sand did not get rinsed enough. Has the water cleared up? Are you maintaining the chemistry properly?

Yes, it has begun to clear up as I continue to filter the water and adjust the water chemistry. I'm using the Poolmaster 5 way test kit. As far as I can tell, these test are sufficient to produce the proper pool chemistry. The overall alkalinity test helps to move the ph in the proper direction.

I'm still learning but the instructions with the kit helped a great deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.