Strange Question - Need to change Roof - Before or After Pool Closing?

May 29, 2015
Mississauga
So I need to re shingle my roof. I was thinking of waiting until I closed my pool as I don't want to risk all that debris and nails in the pool. However, if I close it, I am worried about my pool cover getting damaged and possibly torn (I have a soft winter cover). Anyone have any experience with this or can you share your thoughts? My pool is not far enough away from the house for me to say it's not an issue.

Thanks!

I'm sure it would destroy your cover; nails and such. But then, junk in a vinyl pool? I live in SoCal so closing pools is not here. Well, how about some type of tarp over your winter cover or right over your pool to protect it, then throw it away? Others here will probably have better ideas.

Go to Harbor Freight where you can buy a big tarp cheap. Use it to protect the pool during the re roof.

How far away from your house is your pool? Just as a reference, my pool is 10-12 feet from house, and I just had my roof replaced a few weeks ago. The heavy shingles did not even get close to the pool. Stray nails and such did. I have a katachakid with leaf cover and it kept the big stuff out of the water. The little pebbles on the shingles made it in, so the next day I put a tarp between the net and leaf cover.

So get a tarp no water what. If you have never replaced your roof before, be prepared for an unbelievable amount of stuff raining down. I could not believe the amount of nails

I had my roof replaced late last year. Few nails ended up in the pool but I knew to check the pool each day and get those out quick before they stain. The roofers have this cool magnetic roller sweeper thingy that they'll roll across your yard to pick up all the nails in the grass and driveway. Problem is that I still to this day run across a roofing nail in my lawn every now and then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.