Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Strange Question - Need to change Roof - Before or After Pool Closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Strange Question - Need to change Roof - Before or After Pool Closing?

So I need to re shingle my roof. I was thinking of waiting until I closed my pool as I don't want to risk all that debris and nails in the pool. However, if I close it, I am worried about my pool cover getting damaged and possibly torn (I have a soft winter cover). Anyone have any experience with this or can you share your thoughts? My pool is not far enough away from the house for me to say it's not an issue.

Thanks!
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Strange Question - Need to change Roof - Before or After Pool Closing?

I'm sure it would destroy your cover; nails and such. But then, junk in a vinyl pool? I live in SoCal so closing pools is not here. Well, how about some type of tarp over your winter cover or right over your pool to protect it, then throw it away? Others here will probably have better ideas.

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a good idea! I was thinking of a tarp as well...falling shingles would definitely kill my cover...
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

4. Back To Top    #4

Tarp over the covers.... Tarps are cheaper than covers and covers are cheaper than new liners... Roofing nails have a tendency to fly

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks stebs!! These are all great ideas!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Go to Harbor Freight where you can buy a big tarp cheap. Use it to protect the pool during the re roof.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

How far away from your house is your pool? Just as a reference, my pool is 10-12 feet from house, and I just had my roof replaced a few weeks ago. The heavy shingles did not even get close to the pool. Stray nails and such did. I have a katachakid with leaf cover and it kept the big stuff out of the water. The little pebbles on the shingles made it in, so the next day I put a tarp between the net and leaf cover.

So get a tarp no water what. If you have never replaced your roof before, be prepared for an unbelievable amount of stuff raining down. I could not believe the amount of nails
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I had my roof replaced late last year. Few nails ended up in the pool but I knew to check the pool each day and get those out quick before they stain. The roofers have this cool magnetic roller sweeper thingy that they'll roll across your yard to pick up all the nails in the grass and driveway. Problem is that I still to this day run across a roofing nail in my lawn every now and then.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Depending on the pool size, you could pick up an inexpensive pool cover on line rather than a tarp.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the great advice!