As most people I also had problems getting the Intex skimmer not to float upwards (and other problems), so I solved it very easy (and cheap) which works very well!
How to fix the Intex skimmer (part 1/2) Swimming pool quick tips - YouTube
(Sorry for my Dutch version of the English language. )
I also have some other quick tip videos on my Youtube channel, in case you're interested.
Things I still want to try:
- Increasing the water circulation in rectangular pools, by using a PVC elbow on my inlet so that the water flows towards my skimmer.
- Trying out a (probably homemade) inlet skimmer. Commercial models are for sale, "pool gobler" etc., but why spend money if you can make it yourself?
- Solar powered heater, made from PVC foil, sheets and an acrylic cover to keep the heat of the sun inside.
- Automatic chlorine dispenser. I know they are for sale cheap, but I don't like the idea that you have to keep the pump running for fixed times.
- And probably some more, which I haven't come up with yet.
Questions, hints or other tips are very welcome! I like figuring stuff out and making it instead of just buying something. Why? Because I can, and it saves money. My wife finds that quite important...