Hi, GeeGaw from deep east Texas

Intex saltwater system

Is it OK to take cell out everyday and spray it off and use tiny jewelry brush to clean it, even when in boost. Which last 3 days. But I turn it off every day and then back on after cell us clean. FC-3,PH-7.4,TA-100,TH-200,CYA-40.

Help with scale on swg cell and in my vac

I tried to create signature, but I'm on my mobile and the site won't let me.
I use 6-way test strip, 5600 gal abg pool, one speed INTEX pump(2500gph),and swg.
I live in east Texas, water is amazingly crystal clear.
FC-3,Ph-7.5,TH-200,TA-100,CYA-40,
IS it OK to turn boost off in swg every morning to clean scale then turn it back on. I think it needs to run 3 days. Can i use bleach (8.25%)to shock it once a month? Thanks so much.

Re: Help with scale on swg cell and in my vac

you do not need to shock with bleach unless you go below the FC to CYA level.. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You need to bring your CYA up to 70 using poolmath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html this will help keep the FC in the hot Texas sun

So if you are at 3fc your at the recommended lowest FC and should be trying to stay around 5fc.. you can add bleach once a week to bring chlorine up to 6 and let it fall over the week just using the SWG.. you may have to run it in boost mode to create the FC you need but once you add more CYA you may be able to lower it off boost mode.

Tried to create signature, but the site wouldn't allow, I'm only mobile.
WATER HAS ALWAYS BEEN CRYSTAL CLEAR!!
I have 5600 gal AGP, INTEX one speed pump (2500gph), INTEX SWG(1026 salt level, due to early rains, and my swg never said "low salt", so being ignorant , I didn't get test strip for salt until recently).
But when I boost fc Is a 5. Otherwise:
FC-3, PH-7.5, TA-100, TH-200, CYA-40.
I have had ph and ta problem for a couple months, I added acid twice, and baking soda twice. I put cal-chlorine (hth from Walmart) in fist to triple shock for algae, then, I doble shocked, then twice I have used it to single shock. But I think the hth cal.chlorine is raising my ph. So that's why I think bleach (@8.25%) might be better?
I Have scale on swg cell everyday. So I clean it everyday. Even when I use the boost,(3days).
Thanks so much. I have read the threads here and I think I'm in the right place!!

geegaw! HI! Is that your "grandparent" name?

What are you using to test with?

If you could please put your reading like this

FC
PH
TA
etc.

It is easier to read.

We will get your water straightened out!

Kim

Hello geegaw, and welcome to TFP. :wave: Besides the test kit question Kim asked above, understand that by using those pool store and generic bags-of-shock products on the shelf, you are more than likely creating more problems down the road for your water - especially at 5,600 gallons. You might want to take a look at these pages real quick to help:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

There are lots of us floating around on the forum ready to help, so just shout if you have a question. Welcome!

With those numbers you should not be getting scale build up as the CSI is around -.3 which should prevent scaling. Since you are seeing that much scale I would say your test strips are the problem and you need to get yourself one of the recommended test kits, see my signature. Most people like the TF-100 test kit as it provides more of the reagents used most often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Closing Pool (What chemicals and where to purchase them)

I'm so glad I found trouble free pool!!! So much information!! I will be closing my AG 16'X48" 5600Gal. As soon as water is 60°. Here r my readings as of yesterday.
Fc-3
Ph-7.5
TA-80
th-100
Cya-30
I still have bad scaling on swg cell? But everything else looks crystal clear and algae free.!!
How do readings look to you?

Re: Closing Pool (What chemicals and where to purchase them)

I'm so glad I found trouble free pool!!! So much information!! I will be closing my AG 16'X48" 5600Gal. As soon as water is 60°. Here r my readings as of yesterday.
Fc-3
Ph-7.5
TA-80
th-100
Cya-30
I still have bad scaling on swg cell? But everything else looks crystal clear and algae free.!!
How do readings look to you?
Other than your FC being below target (but still above min) for your CYA, numbers look good.

What is "th"? Is that a typo for "CH"?

Dom

edit: I just realized you mentioned SWG- if that is how you chlorinate then your CYA is way too low. You should get it up to 60-70ppm.

Please be sure to add your pool details to your signature to avoid confusion like this.

Re: Please help

I did go to the site for test kit, but only a picture came up. I was thinking I might get my son to order it for me. But no price was on the site. I am on very strict low income budget.

Thank you. I posted my readings on my thread Hi GeeGaw from deep east Texas. Not sure if it is OK to post here to?

- - - Updated - - -

when should I add cya and bleach? Which first?

Good morning again! I see you did a few posts. :) To address your most recent test results:
- With your low CYA of 50 for someone with an SWG, yes, you will need to add a little stabilizer. About 15 ounces should do it. Soak the stabilizer in an old white sock near a return jet. It takes a few days to increase on testing.
- Assuming then your CYA will be 70, your FC should be "5". About 2 cups of "regular/plain" bleach can get you there quickly until your SWG is adjusted to stay a little higher
- Your pH and TA are just fine
- Your Th (we call it "CH") for hardness is fine for an AG vinyl pools.

So other than some fine-tuning on your CYA and FC, you are in pretty good shape - according to THOSE results. I say that because I must caution you that those HTH 6-way strips have their limitations. I would still encourage you to order a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit from TFTestkits.net. It's ways possible that one or more of the readings you're getting from the strips is off which would cause you to consider adding the wrong amount of something.

As for the scaling, that's normally something related to higher levels of CH, and yours appears to be low, but again, that' s from the 6-Way testing. I'm not so sure how reliable that is. Is your SWG very old? Your on well water, so I wonder if perhaps that has something to do with it. For now, continue with your small chemical adjustments and we'll see what other feedback we can get you on the SWG specifically.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some previous discussions on how to clean a cell: How to Properly Clean a Cell and Cleaning SWG with CLR ? and Cleaning Intex Swg system

It was new this swim season. But in full disclosure I have battled algae a while back. In doing so I shocked(cal - hypo HTH Super shock) and added baking soda, muric acid, trying get results bright and kill algae. Also I have set in steps that IV never removed. Any idea how to remove at end of season and clean inside and out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support