Suction issues from damaged diffusor

McZero

Jul 15, 2015
South Africa
So anyways I have been battling for a while to get my pool pump to actually get a decent suction and have it perform properly, so far it seems the previous owner never really cared about the pool, this is just one of many problems I have found so far.

So eventually I decided it was time to strip down the pump to see if there was anything obvious that could be causing me issues.

So lo and behold when I got to the diffusor it looked to be pretty well knackered.(picture below)

I guess this picture is a good example of what happens when you get cavitation in your pump for extended periods and plus it probably ran dry on the odd occasion.

These are they joys of buying a house with a pool and hoping nothing is wrong with it ;)

dfded7c9-bb0f-484b-87e3-fc0862584c25_zpsn5dsaep6.jpg

So the new part is on the way, and here is hoping this time it may actually fill up the pump weir more than half way, and then it will probably be back to playing suction leak air detective.:cool:

Cheers

Hi McZero. Yes, a broken diffuser will cause poor suction. When you reassemble your pump, make sure there no rocks or metal stuff that could have been in the pump and caused this cause of damage. I know you already ordered parts, but replacing the pump seal now could be a good idea!

HI OldPoolMan

New seals and O-rings where done at the same time, no point in doing half a job just to redo it again.

Oddly enough there was a small piece of hard wire about 1-2 inches long on the outside of the diffusor, which could quite possibly have been rattling around on the inside for a while.

Anyway pump is back together and suction has improved, but lo and behold a air leak, so that shall be next on the list, slowly but surely getting all these little nuisances sorted out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.