New to pool ownership - TF100 Results

Wow looking great, it won't be long now. You are doing an awesome job. :)

EDIT: I'm not certain what the streaks are, but they could be staining perhaps from something added previously, or from the algae, or perhaps the lighting or a reflection in the pic itself? Do you see them in the day time? Have you attempted to scrub them with your brush to see if they will come off with some friction? Perhaps others can be of more help and be able to tell you how to rid your pool of them if the brushing doesn't get rid of them. I hope this helps.

Looks very nice! You have a very clean, tight backyard. Love the poolhouse!

As to the streaks, I wonder if they are tire tracks from an automated cleaner?

Thanks! Everything is a mess right now as we're still settling in, but hopefully it'll look better in the next month or so.

Hate the poolhouse - its overgrown with bugs and vines inside, I have to stoop low to get in, and there's no room to work in there. The backwash valve is located against the wall, with 5 inches of clearance. In order to turn the valve I had to get a rubber mallet to push it - otherwise no room for my arms to generate any kind of leverage.

Previous owner didn't have an automated cleaner (that we were aware of). We scrubbed the streaks with the brush and it did zip zilch.

Your being concerned about chlorine loss during the day is valid but chlorine is lost as a percentage of the FC with the CYA level being a factor. As an example, let's say that your pool will lose 30% of your FC during a day. To make it easy let's also say that your maintenance target it 10 FC. So, after one day your FC would be at 7 ppm. If you are SLAMing at 30 ppm FC, you're still going to lose 30% each day. So your FC at the end of the day would be 21 FC in that case. Your loss of 6 FC at those high levels is not that concerning. The FC/CYA/Sunlight relationship is a bit more complicated than my example but that should give you an idea.

Regarding the FC loss during the day, here's my (relative newbie) understanding. FC lost to sunlight is based on a percentage basis. What that percentage is, I do not know. But since you're so far above the target and min FC levels for your CYA, the ppm FC loss seems high. But the percentage is probably normal. I'd wager that as you let the FC drift down to your target levels, the ppm losses become something much more reasonable.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone who knows their stuff better than I do.

ETA that I posted this before I noticed your thread had a second page where everything I posted was already stated.

Last edited:
Your being concerned about chlorine loss during the day is valid but chlorine is lost as a percentage of the FC with the CYA level being a factor. As an example, let's say that your pool will lose 30% of your FC during a day. To make it easy let's also say that your maintenance target it 10 FC. So, after one day your FC would be at 7 ppm. If you are SLAMing at 30 ppm FC, you're still going to lose 30% each day. So your FC at the end of the day would be 21 FC in that case. Your loss of 6 FC at those high levels is not that concerning. The FC/CYA/Sunlight relationship is a bit more complicated than my example but that should give you an idea.

Makes a lot of sense - thanks to you and Cinic for explaining it logically.

kimkats - since I have 35 pounds of pucks (wish I read this forum before buying it), I will do as stated and report back.

I can't say how appreciative I am about all the advice given so far. For a pool noob, this forum has been a great wealth of information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.