Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi there long time lurker- with a pool rehab story to tell

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi there long time lurker- with a pool rehab story to tell

Hello everyone I have been lurking for about 2 years or more now, a few years back I bought a repossession with a 1980's gunnite pool, plan was to decommission the pool and build a garage; due to the building methods and strength of gunnite pools it quickly became apparent it would not be cheap to remove. We were convinced by a contractor to rehabilitate the pool, we started down that road and quickly got into the weeds.
    I am at the point where tomorrow I am going to fill my pool and start the process of building my backyard around my pool. I am kind of hesitant to post what i have done after seeing so many beautiful pics of finished pools, but i feel my project is far enough along that it will make an interesting thread. In the last couple of years we have taken quite a few pics (I know everyone like pics), so it will be an interesting thread; I am located in Michigan region so I am in a cold winter region. I just wanted to say hello before I begin to post my pool re-hab journey. I feel the "under construction" section will be a good place to post.

Just as an intro I though I would post a couple of pics of what i had to start with; as you can see from the pics I had a very neglected gunnite pool to deal with.

1980's 21,000 gal double Roman style gunnite in-ground pool 32'x 16' in dimension, 22" Hayward Pro sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super II pump. 1 skimmer 2 returns and a main drain. all plumbing including skimmer re-done in 2014 2" skimmer and 1.5" returns. T1000 test kit(XL)

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Hi there long time lurker- with a pool rehab story to tell

Welcome. We like pics of everything from doggie bathing pools to resort type stuff! Post'um up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Concord, NC

Sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear more!
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

<waiting for more!>
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds cool! I love old pools!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Katy, TX

More! More!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.