Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Pillow for above ground pool closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Pillow for above ground pool closing?

Hey guys how many of you are using an air pillow under your winter cover? I have used one for the last 2 years and I am finding it is just causing my cover to blow in the wind more than anything since the water tends to shift to one side of it the first big wind we have causing the air pillow to move to one side of the pool more. Than i have no water on the other side of the cover to keep it from blowing in the wind. I have to buy a new cover this year so I was thinking about just leaving the air pillow out. I usually install my cover then put some water on top to keep the cover from blowing. I am in a high wind area so it still blows even with pool wrap around the whole pool.

Just wondering what others think. Some people claim the air pillow is a must to help when the water freezes so it won't damage the pool.
    On ground pool 16x32 with deep end -shallow end 4' deep end 7' 80 000L of water pool installed 2011 SW (currently not working) sand filter we are in ontario

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air Pillow for above ground pool closing?

With my parents above ground pool I would drain about a foot below the skimmer and then use one of the big blue pillows. I used strong string connected on the opposite corners of the pillow to center the pillow in the pool and connected the other ends to the rail on opposite sides. You need to leave slack in the sting so it lays on the water so when the cover is on you don't leave pressure on it. I then added some water on top of the pool cover to help keep the pillow centered. You want a good cover so the water on top doesn't leak through to the pool.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you'd need 2 to maybe 3 pillows and tie each pillow off on each long side of the pool to stop from shifting.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I read once that some folks use big beach balls, which at this time of year should be discounted to move them out.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I've done it with and without the pillows. I prefer without. I tied the pillows off on the four corners and they still broke loose and wound up on one side.

To me it's easier without the pillows. I use a leaf blower to keep the leaves off the cover so the pillow isn't really a help. Granted, it doesn't freeze solid here but I have to syphon off a lot of water over winter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I used multiple pillows (one large 14ft long and 4 smaller 4x4 pillows) on my pool and held the cover down with bungee cords that kept the cover tight against the pillows.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

7. Back To Top    #7

I prefer no pillows. I don't lower the water so the cover is fairly shallow on top of the pool. I have pool cover pump that has auto on/off ($40 on Amazon) that keeps the water off & I use a leaf blower on anything else.
    33’ Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

8. Back To Top    #8

I use truck innertubes, 3 of them tied together and anchored to opposite sides of the pool.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Plastic 55 gallon drum. Picked one up at a local place here for $5.00 (clean).I have used it for at least 10 years now
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

If you use the pillow, the trick is not to blow it up all the way. I needs to be partially inflated not fully inflated. I use two circle floats that look like inner tubes. I tie them together and they stand up to being in the water better than inner tubes. i can adjust the location of the floats by pulling on the strings that I tie them with at the ends of the pool.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

11. Back To Top    #11

I use one. I just tie it off and it stays in place. I like it because it lets all the leaves and water collect near the edges, for easier removal.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    I use truck innertubes, 3 of them tied together and anchored to opposite sides of the pool.
    Are these regular trucks, like F-150....or the big tractor-trailer trucks?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by SueCoop View Post
    Are these regular trucks, like F-150....or the big tractor-trailer trucks?
    Big ones, they double as rafting inner tubes... Huge New Truck Inner Tubes River Tubes Snow Tubes Rafting Tubes 10 00 20 | eBay
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I used a truck tire inner tube last year, but it didn't work very well. I'm going to try putting my solar blanket under the cover this year.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

15. Back To Top    #15

We used a huge truck tire and two "River Rat" tubes - tied all of them together then tied them to the sides of the pool to keep them relatively centered. We lower the water and use a giant tarp to cover that we then tie down to eyes we have screwed into boards that are along the sides of our pool - rectangle Intex are super difficult to cover IMO. We then criss-cross rope over the top of the pool to try to limit (doesn't eliminate) the "jiffy pop popcorn" lift on the cover as our pool is in a major wind area.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir