Water Circulation

Hi TFP,

What's the best way to circulate water in my pool? It's kidney shaped pool. Image is attached. Black is skimmer. Red are the return jets and green is drop in ladders. Sorry for generic image and cheapo graphics. :)

It's five feet deep give or take on side and 3 ft on other. All sides slopes toward the bottoms. There is no floor drain.

I was looking for where I could point the two return jet for best water circulation. If possible surface debris to skimmer as well. But mostly concerned with circulations and getting rid of most dead spots. I had issues with water being cloudy but the top 1/3 was clear. Bottom could not be seen. I figured it was because my jets were straight out and causing only top to circulate not having bottom get to skimmer.

I've let the pool settle with pump off and vac'd the stuff on bottom out. It's clear again, but if I can circulate the water better I can avoid that.

Thanks all.

Dave,

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 139
Dave,

Welcome to TFP!

I also have a kidney shaped pool and struggled a bit to get the best circulation with two return jets and one skimmer. You want to achieve a circular circulation of the water. I used this Amazon.com : Pool and Spa Eyeball Sp1419a Jet 1.5 Garden to replace one of my eyeballs and angled the other to get a nice circular pattern. It is some trial and error, but you will get there. Hope this helps.

If you plant a mesquite tree nearby, you'll have all the 'snowglobe' water flow indicators you could ever need - and then some!

To the point, if you achieve circular flow, know that anything remotely heavy will be drawn toward the middle/deepest portion of the pool, and since you mention not having a central drain, that will be where it stays until you net or vacuum.

Good luck, and let me know if you want me to mail you a flat-rate box full of mesquite leaves... Really, I have a couple hundred thousand I'm not using.

Take a look at these:

Amazon.com: Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap: Patio, Lawn Garden

Purchase a set of these and you have free shipping. Please remember to take these out only with the filter off as the suction can take the back off. Happened only once. It really moves the water all over the place. Only issue is a Rising PH over time. My PH drifts every 4-7 days. Although, I have been slowly lowering my TA to compensate and only time will tell.

One return looks close to the skimmer, but maybe a little further away. Hard to tell. You mention "dead spots". Do these spots show signs of algae?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take a look at these:

Amazon.com: Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap: Patio, Lawn Garden

Purchase a set of these and you have free shipping. Please remember to take these out only with the filter off as the suction can take the back off. Happened only once. It really moves the water all over the place. Only issue is a Rising PH over time. My PH drifts every 4-7 days. Although, I have been slowly lowering my TA to compensate and only time will tell.

One return looks close to the skimmer, but maybe a little further away. Hard to tell. You mention "dead spots". Do these spots show signs of algae?

These look pretty interesting. I have good circulation but I am always looking to fine tune it.

ChrissyKr:

They work great. You can see the movement of the surface water, it never stays still.

Downside is the PH for some pools, not all. I have 4 of these and 2 regular returns + 2 in the steps. I want to cut down to 2 of these and 4 regular returns, although I am having a difficult time trying to figure out where to place them. I need one regular return for liquid chlorine additions. Next year, I will experiment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.