Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Circulation

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Circulation

Hi TFP,

What's the best way to circulate water in my pool? It's kidney shaped pool. Image is attached. Black is skimmer. Red are the return jets and green is drop in ladders. Sorry for generic image and cheapo graphics.

It's five feet deep give or take on side and 3 ft on other. All sides slopes toward the bottoms. There is no floor drain.

I was looking for where I could point the two return jet for best water circulation. If possible surface debris to skimmer as well. But mostly concerned with circulations and getting rid of most dead spots. I had issues with water being cloudy but the top 1/3 was clear. Bottom could not be seen. I figured it was because my jets were straight out and causing only top to circulate not having bottom get to skimmer.

I've let the pool settle with pump off and vac'd the stuff on bottom out. It's clear again, but if I can circulate the water better I can avoid that.

Thanks all.

Dave,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG ~8500 Gallon Vinyl, Solar heated.
    Sand filter
    1.5hp Pump
    Direct sunlight most of the day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Circulation

Dave,

Welcome to TFP!

I also have a kidney shaped pool and struggled a bit to get the best circulation with two return jets and one skimmer. You want to achieve a circular circulation of the water. I used this Amazon.com : Pool and Spa Eyeball Sp1419a Jet 1.5 Garden to replace one of my eyeballs and angled the other to get a nice circular pattern. It is some trial and error, but you will get there. Hope this helps.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, you can consider dropping some Styrofoam packing peanuts or ping pong balls in the water to see how they move and circulate. Many have used that trick before.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a similar shapped pool, but have 3 returns. I point them so that there is a clockwise rotation. I have one return pointed more to the surface, one straight out, and one slightly downward.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the replies. I will try suggestions above and see.

Will post in day or two after some tests
    Sand filter
    1.5hp Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

If you plant a mesquite tree nearby, you'll have all the 'snowglobe' water flow indicators you could ever need - and then some!

To the point, if you achieve circular flow, know that anything remotely heavy will be drawn toward the middle/deepest portion of the pool, and since you mention not having a central drain, that will be where it stays until you net or vacuum.

Good luck, and let me know if you want me to mail you a flat-rate box full of mesquite leaves... Really, I have a couple hundred thousand I'm not using.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where is your pool pad going to reside?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

I think it's working better now. I have one pointed down to stir up water and another outward to circulate it. I am not sure if I can get all dead spots but seems much better now.

Thanks RD members.

- - - Updated - - -

RD?? Darn auto correct and lack of proofing.

Thanks TFP members.
    Sand filter
    1.5hp Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Take a look at these:

Amazon.com: Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap: Patio, Lawn Garden

Purchase a set of these and you have free shipping. Please remember to take these out only with the filter off as the suction can take the back off. Happened only once. It really moves the water all over the place. Only issue is a Rising PH over time. My PH drifts every 4-7 days. Although, I have been slowly lowering my TA to compensate and only time will tell.

One return looks close to the skimmer, but maybe a little further away. Hard to tell. You mention "dead spots". Do these spots show signs of algae?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Take a look at these:

Amazon.com: Circulator 10022a Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Jet with Water Control Bottom Cap: Patio, Lawn Garden

Purchase a set of these and you have free shipping. Please remember to take these out only with the filter off as the suction can take the back off. Happened only once. It really moves the water all over the place. Only issue is a Rising PH over time. My PH drifts every 4-7 days. Although, I have been slowly lowering my TA to compensate and only time will tell.

One return looks close to the skimmer, but maybe a little further away. Hard to tell. You mention "dead spots". Do these spots show signs of algae?

These look pretty interesting. I have good circulation but I am always looking to fine tune it.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

ChrissyKr:

They work great. You can see the movement of the surface water, it never stays still.

Downside is the PH for some pools, not all. I have 4 of these and 2 regular returns + 2 in the steps. I want to cut down to 2 of these and 4 regular returns, although I am having a difficult time trying to figure out where to place them. I need one regular return for liquid chlorine additions. Next year, I will experiment.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013