Oceanside, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have been using the Nature2 sanitizer cartridge for 10 years and have had great success. Recently had a very rare cloudy pool with green algae starting to form on the bottom. I first hit it with Leslie's Fresh N Clear but no help so I slammed it with Di-Chlor. Algae was subsiding but cloudiness remained. Have been running the filter 24/7 for 2 weeks now, brushing and vac.. Pool store told me that Nature2 and high chlorine will cause cloudiness. I removed the Nature2 cartridge and stopped using Tri Clor tabs (my CYA is 55-60) and let the chlorine come down to 4 ppm. (CC 0).The water is a much better color and the cloudiness is just starting to look better. Any thoughts?
The water would gleam with the nature2 and the low Chlorine was easy on the skin. Liner is 15 years old but looks like 5 years old.
ph 7.5
TA 90
CYA 55-60
CH 160 - I know this is low but does it really matter with a vinyl liner? I have a diff time keeping the level up here on LI.

Thank you
streetbuc

Welcome to TFP!

Vinyl liner pools are safe with low CH values see our Recommended Levels.

To deal with the cloudy pool we follow what's called The SLAM Process, see my signature. This process will clear up the pool.

Since you have had great success with the Nature 2 I will not get into that discussion on why we do not recommend mineral based systems.

Thank you for the quick response. Yes my test kit is Taylor K-2006. I would not mind hearing more thoughts on the nature2 as I do think about why I would want to add copper and silver to my water. Also although the "pool store" told me my metal content was not high, I did add metal free after removing the cartridge and that did seem to be the turning point. I plan on finishing the season sans Nature2 and trying next season without it. I would like to keep my chlorine as low as needed. I guess I will be using liquid chlorine and only using tri-chlorine pucks if I will be away so I can keep my cya in check. Again thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated.
streetbuc

TriChlor pucks have CYA in them also, although a little less than Dichlor. For each 10ppm rise in FC From TriChlor you will see a 6 ppm rise in CYA.

If you are looking to control CYA stick with liquid products entirely.

First, welcome to TFP Streetbuc!

I want to clear up your possible misconception on chlorine levels and liner damage/comfort. It is not directly the FC level that causes these things, but the active chlorine level and the CC level. A low active chlorine level is important for comfort and minimal breakdown of swimsuits, hair, and liners, but as with all industry suppliers the Nature2 people ignore the incredible buffering effect of CYA. The FC/CYA ratio we follow here recommends a minimum of 7.5% FC to CYA. So at 60 the minimum FC level should be kept above 5, which seems high but because of that buffering effect is actually only as strong as 0.1 ppm FC in water with no CYA. Even our SLAM levels are perfectly safe to swim in and are less active than a pool with no CYA and 3 ppm FC, like many indoor public pools.

A big contributor to unpleasant water is Combined Chlorine (CC). This is the byproduct of chlorine after it oxidizes something and is the primary cause of "chlorine smell". Keeping these levels low (which keeping FC at TFP recommended levels helps greatly) gets rid of most smells associated with pools as well as enhances swimmer comfort. pH also plays a role in comfort, but it is usually a personal preference what pH is more comfortable.

Copper does kill algae and silver kills algae and also many bacteria, so the Nature2 does allow you to maintain lower FC levels. Algaecides and phosphate removers also help to hinder algae growth, allowing lower FC levels. There always needs to be some residual FC in a pool to kill bacteria but it takes far less to kill bacteria as it does to kill algae, which is why you need something additional to help kill algae.

If you really want to maintain a lower FC than TFPC recommendations then I suggest either using a polyquat algaecide or phosphate remover instead of a mineral system, and following the rest of the TFPC guidelines with a lower FC/CYA ratio. This should give you a relatively trouble free experience with lower chlorine levels. However I will say from experience that I had a Frog system, which is similar to the Nature2. I followed their guidelines and didn't have any significant problems until my winter cover blew off and I had a terrible algae bloom, which led me to this forum. Since I removed the Frog and began maintaining my water to TFPC and the FC/CYA ratio I have noticed a significant improvement to my water quality. It doesn't really have a smell, feels fine, and looks beautiful. So I can tell you from personal experience that the higher FC does not cause any negative experiences, nor have I gotten any complaints. It also came with a significant cost savings too, which is pretty nice.

Whichever method you choose going forward I hope you will continue to use the forum and expand your knowledge of pool care!

Great info all! Thanks very much. Going to give it a go without the Nature2 for the balance of this year and next season. Will keep you posted!
streetbuc

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.