Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freaking out over Raccoon feces!

1. Back To Top    #1

Freaking out over Raccoon feces!

Hi all, long time no post but I'm always reading the boards. Yesterday I found what I'm pretty sure to be Raccoon poop on my top step as is their MO and of course reading the CDC website about this freaks me out to no end about their Roundworms that can kill and are resistant to Chlorine. I managed to scoop it into a baggie and seal it mostly in tact but I threw it away because I didn't think of taking it to a vet to be tested and this is before I searched the internet. Of course I've superchlorinated and run my pump through DE for about 24 hours. But I have to back wash on my lawn and what they say about Raccoon roundworms living through anything and everything just gets my OCD going crazy. The CDC recommends bagging all filter material. How? Am I supposed to throw away the DE grids too?! AM I being insanely worried? Anyone else have this kind of issue or experience?
    20x40 double Roman IG ~24000 gal. 36sq Hayward DE filter, Hayward SP2600VS pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freaking out over Raccoon feces!

sounds like they are saying to empty the contents of the filter into a garbage bag and then throw away. so in your case, wear some gloves and throw away all the DE material. I would keep filtering as well. I would imagine the worms if they are present in the stool would be eggs? so basically you are trying to filter all the eggs physically out of the water. I wouldn't imagine the eggs would hatch and survive in the pool, so you exposure would be limited to while they are in egg form? that's just my guess, I didn't do any research.

do you still have the poo? if its in the trash can and you really want to make sure, just take it to a vet to get tested.

I wouldn't worry about the grids, etc.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

I wish I still had it because this is driving me crazy and would love to get it tested. Not sure how I would be able to collect and dispose of DE material as I just use a backwash hose onto my lawn. I could probably get it onto driveway and into street which would minimize exposure I guess?? Not sure if this is just a case of internet scare or if this is a legitimate concern. I'm sure even if the eggs are in the pool they have been 1) mostly collected by filter 2) diffused greatly 3) Not enough left to really cause major problems if swallowed. I'm really mostly worried about the young kids who swim in my pool. I find it hard to believe that this sort of thing isnt more common. Just such a mental freakout!
    20x40 double Roman IG ~24000 gal. 36sq Hayward DE filter, Hayward SP2600VS pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I hear that.

Been very lucky that they only like to poop on my roof, not in the pool just around the corner.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, and I thought I had a problem with bees in my water feature!

I have had good luck with live trapping pack rats in the AZ desert using Hav-A-Hart traps baited with a very small amount of peanut butter smeared on the trip plate. The raccoon will be alive and unharmed in the cage trap, so you need to be able to call your local Game & Fish department (or similar) to have them figure out what to do with it. Know that if you put a towel over the trap to hide your approach and drive the animal a distance from your home to release it back into the wild - they may still find their way back. Be sure you don't transplant it to become someone else's problem. Good luck, in any case,
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. Just keep wondering if I'm making this too big a deal in my head. No one out there has had this happen huh?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by NyAra View Post
    Thanks guys. Just keep wondering if I'm making this too big a deal in my head. No one out there has had this happen huh?
    Upon further reading of the actual Epidemiology & Risk Factors:

Fewer than 25 cases of Baylisascaris disease have been documented in the United States. However, it is possible that some cases are incorrectly diagnosed as other infections or go undiagnosed. Cases that are diagnosed tend to be severe.

I would have your friend trapped and moved away as this is one of many issues raccoon's bring to our homes . We deal with risk everyday when we get in our cars, I wouldn't think to much on this one. However, you can follow the guidelines spelled out on the CDC website if you like.

Again, I think it is a bit extreme. Get rid of the host, mark your calendar for 2-4 weeks, monitor your family for side effects and don't sweat it more than that.

For what it is worth I make sure people don't get sick from working conditions which includes all kinds of biological diseases. If you want some information on what to wear if you do decide to remove your DE filter material I can assist you with that as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I wouldn't worry about the DE. You wouldn't search the entire yard for any sign of feces would you and that's much more likely to be a problem than anything that might be in your waste DE. I think you are correct in that your OCD is getting the better of you. Bump the FC for a day or so and forget it.

Dogs can have the very same worms and many of our members swim in the pool with their dogs. We haven't heard of it being a problem.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Wink Re: Freaking out over Raccoon feces!

Very true on all accounts. Just goes to show that you can balance all chemicals and have beautiful water and something else can go wrong! Pool ownership is crazy. On another note I think this is finally going to push me to dig a dry well for dedicated backwashing. The idea of spreading whatever over my lawn is now disgusting me. Plus it'll be so much easier than unrolling then rolling back up 100' of hose.

PS If anyone else has had Raccoons in their pools, please feel free to make me feel better!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by NyAra View Post
    Very true on all accounts. Just goes to show that you can balance all chemicals and have beautiful water and something else can go wrong! Pool ownership is crazy. On another note I think this is finally going to push me to dig a dry well for dedicated backwashing. The idea of spreading whatever over my lawn is now disgusting me. Plus it'll be so much easier than unrolling then rolling back up 100' of hose.

PS If anyone else has had Raccoons in their pools, please feel free to make me feel better!
    Like this ?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

They really are pests

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, we haven't any issues with our pool and the various rodents in and around the many oak trees in the neighborhood and on our property but our front yard is another story. Some mornings it looks like someone tossed a few grenades in our front yard. The raccoons like to tear into the turf and pull up large chunks of sod as they look for grubs or whatever. It is a sign to me to turn down the watering so that it dries out more and makes it tougher to dig.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

13. Back To Top    #13

The good news is that raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris) eggs are rather large so should get caught in most filters (unlike Cryptosporidium that is too small at 4-6 microns to get caught in most filters without added coagulants). As noted in this paper they are 63-88 microns by 50-70 microns in size. This is why the CDC gives the option for filtration to remove them from the water. Their recommendation to dispose the media itself is an extra safeguard in case all eggs are not backwashed/cleaned from the media but may be overkill.

I wonder if chlorine dioxide would be effective at inactivating the eggs since it is also effective against chlorine-resistant Crypto. I couldn't find any papers or other reports describing such remediation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Great point Chem. thanks for all the responses. Sometimes things become crazier in our heads than they really are. Although the Internet definitely doesn't help!