Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Center drain and skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

West Central, FL

Center drain and skimmer

When installing a center drain in an AG, what depth would you suggest the PVC be buried under the top layer of sand?

I have a typical bestway/intex 16' setup with one wall intake and one wall return. I plan to install the center drain mentioned above plus a wide mouth wall skimmer and convert the two wall holes to returns. What placement would you suggest for the wall skimmer to be? Opposite side of the pool from the returns or close to the returns?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!
    My AG Frankenpool 16' / 6,041g
    Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix 1.5HP Pump
    Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Phoenix, AZ

Re: Center drain and skimmer

If you have prevailing winds - and the pump/plumbing location support it - I'd consider putting the skimmer on the downwind side so that any surface leaves get blown toward the skimmer. Our IG FF has the skimmer on the opposite side from customary winds, reducing it's effectiveness considerably. Just something to think about,
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.