Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mechanical timer with new variable speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Mechanical timer with new variable speed pump

Hello, I'll be switching from a mechanical pump to a variable speed one in the next few days. In reading the manual, it says to power the VS pump directly and take the mechanical timer out of the circuit. Not a problem except that it also controls the salt generator. I've read both manuals and searched online and I don't see a way to control the salt generator anyway other than the mechanical timer. I think I need the equivalent of a relay on the pump that would power the salt generator but I don't see how to accomplish that. Ideas?

Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
    Jandy Pro Series AquaPure PLC700

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mechanical timer with new variable speed pump

My VS pump is wired to the hot side of the timer and the SWG is wired to the switched side. This allows me to set the run time of the SWG is pretty handy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Why wouldn't I want the SWG to run in unison with the pump?

4. Back To Top    #4

I run my pump a lot more than my SWG. We have lots of trees and solar panels. Pump runs at least 12 and often 24 hours per day if the trees are busy. SWG is running 8 hours at 60% right now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on your run time of the pump. If you run your pump a long time in order to filter, or just because you like water movement, then its possible to overchlorinate unless you lower the output of the SWG. Some swgs like mine is set up, can only adjust the output in 20 precent increments.

Like Pooldv, I run my VS pump a LOT for filtering and because I like to play around with RPMs and enjoy varying water currents in the pool. I have my SWG on the timer so I can set teh SWG run time independent of the pump run time.

The timer eliminates having to do that and makes maintaining a nice constant FC easier and may also extend the lifetime of my SW cell.

Quote Originally Posted by stv65g View Post
    Why wouldn't I want the SWG to run in unison with the pump?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You will find that with a VS pump you can run it a low speeds for a very long time for a very low energy cost. My pump runs for most of its time at 1,000 rpm drawing 100 watts. I have a daily run schedule.

0500-0800 2800 rpm 1200 watts (in floor cleaning system)
    0800-1600. 1200 rpm. 138 watts (SWG is switched on from 0830-1500)
    1600-2400. 1000 rpm. 100 watts (extra filtration)

In addition my solar ramps the pump up to 2500 rpm as needed to heat the pool.

With a VS pump you can see it is very cheap to run the pump many more hours than you need or want the SWG to be on.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit