Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: possible to extend HTH drop test?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Question possible to extend HTH drop test?

I'm wondering if it's possible to extend the FC reading range of the HTH drop testkit that folks can find at Walmart. My thought is that if you dilute pool with non-pool 1:1, you should be able to get twice the range. Of course you would be sacrificing accuracy, but it might be better then nothing until your real testkit arrives.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: possible to extend HTH drop test?

Are you talking about the OTO (yellow - 5 drops) test? That test is pretty inaccurate to begin with and cutting it's accuracy in half would be much worse.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'm not really sure. My Walmart doesn't carry it so I haven't laid eyes on one. I believe they are yellow based. So probably OTO.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Walmart does not sell anything other than test strips or OTO based chlorine tests.

My opinion, accuracy aside, is that we should never recommend someone get any type of temporary kit, with one exception. If they already have a TF-100 or k-2006 ordered and If they absolutely need their CYA reading and If they are willing to shell out for something they will likely use once, then and only then would I suggest the HTH 6-way test that has a melamine based CYA test.

It is not a replacement for a proper test kit and we need to make absolutely sure we get that point across. I am rather embarrassed to admit this, but I know that from personal experience. I went two seasons trying to manage my pool using TFPC and a 6-way kit and had minor problems each year. I am such a stickler for getting a proper kit right away because I realize I spent at least as much money in unnecessary bleach purchases as I would have spent on the kit.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a new comparator block from Taylor that measure to 10 PPM https://www.taylortechnologies.com/corporate_news.asp
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Yes, for a color matching DPD test that is not as accurate as the FAS/DPD test included in the k-2006 or TF-100 nor sold at Walmart.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits