Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Feed Hose Too Stiff???

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Feed Hose Too Stiff???

My 380 is about 20 years old. I've tuned it up more than once w/ the Tune-Up Kit. It's been working better than ever this year, mostly when the heater's on. But, with the pool temp over 80, I'm not running the heater lately. 380 had a couple of leaking swivels, so I replaced 2 this year. Now, the hose seems much too stiff and actually seems to keep the 380 from settling back down to the bottom after the back-up valve cycle.

All the hose floats seem to float, no leaks, wheels turn @ about 30 RPM, sweep hose sweeps, & thrust jet is set at 7 o'clock. Tried 11:00, 1:00, now back at 7 w/ no real difference at any setting.

So, last resort, replace the whole hose??? It's the original hose. Does it really get too stiff over time to work effectively?

P.S. Just learned of the "leader hose" (after all these years) and ordered one. I'll try that for ~$40 before replacing the whole length.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Magnolia Texas

Re: Polaris Feed Hose Too Stiff???

I replaced mine after 10 years. Comparing the old hose to the new one was like day and night. The new hose is much more flexible. My cleaner now covers the entire pool where before it did not.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

San Jose, CA

Re: Polaris Feed Hose Too Stiff???

I've got a similarly aged Polaris - not entirely sure of the number - and wondered if the hose needs replacing, too. It's got a leak or two and seems stiff. I see the Pool Store had them in stock, but didn't look at the prices. I also think it'd reach the whole pool if it were four feet longer... If a new one is lots more flexible, maybe it's time.
    18,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, built circa 1965
    single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.
    TF-100 test kit.