Do I need to add algicide weekly?

Aug 8, 2015
Jeffeson, MA
If I keep all of my chlorine/CYA levels in check do you still need to add an algicide when first filling the pool and weekly like most of the labeling on the bottles say? I typically use the algicides that do not contain copper for my outdoor pool, but just wonder if they are actually needed if the other measures are kept in check. Thanks.

The only time some people here use algaecide is when they close the pool. I don't even use it then, I just tend to close it late and open early. If you don't keep you FC in check and you start to get CC > .5, we (the collective) recommend that you SLAM your pool.

Just to pile on, I have not put any algaecide in my pool in nearly 6 years.

Of course the bottle says to use weekly. Just like the shampoo bottle tells me to wash my hair twice ;)

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

I haven't used any algaecide this summer, with the exception of the bottle of BackUp I threw in there right after my pool was opened, which turned my pool water into a St. Patrick's Day beer.

That experience led me here to TFP, and I haven't needed anything other than liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and a touch of baking soda.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.