Trouble finding bleach?

600m

Jun 12, 2015
Pennsville, New Jersey
Just wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble as I am as finding bleach in stores here lately? Both Wal-Mart and Target have been out of their store brand for a few weeks now. They have a couple bottles of Clorox but it's almost $4 compared to $3 for store brand. Granted I've really only started paying attention recently since switching to the TFP method.

I don't know about your area. My Menard's is always the cheapest and most fresh for 12.5%.

What does Menard's sell it for around you? They are $3.99 a gallon here, which is no bargain here. I can get 10% at Rural King for $2 a gallon. I get the Menard's when they have the BOGO sales, but otherwise I look elsewhere. Don't know how far you are from Plano, but there is an RK there.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble as I am as finding bleach in stores here lately? Both Wal-Mart and Target have been out of their store brand for a few weeks now. They have a couple bottles of Clorox but it's almost $4 compared to $3 for store brand. Granted I've really only started paying attention recently since switching to the TFP method.
Is there an Ocean State Job Lot nearby (there is only 3 in New Jersey)?

I get my 12.5% chlorine there, $3 a gallon.

Dom

Menard's was $3.46/gallon last week and it was coded 15225. It does go on sale for $1.99 sometimes. Thanks for the info on Rural King. Is it fresh there?

My experience has been yes, but Caveat Emptor. I have good luck with it here, but who knows which cases make it to the floor and in what order or where they store it before it gets there. I always buy a case and add a jug to the pool. If it gives me the standard 4ppm rise for my pool, then I go stock up and keep it in my basement. They generally have it on sale for $6.99 a case right before Memorial Day.

Now I have an image in my head of Shirley Jones buying cases of bleach! :D Odd how our brain uses something to concoct an image of the person we are talking with on the internet!

Yes RK liquid shock is fresh and it is all stored inside, and works well. I get my 10% Liquid Shock at Rural King (4 gallons per case for $7.99). I know several people checked their local RK stores, and their location determined the price per case which most were much higher than mine here in KY. But it's worth a looksee if you can find it at that price :).

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with John T. I too have had very good luck with ours but always check dates etc. to be sure.

What does Menard's sell it for around you? They are $3.99 a gallon here, which is no bargain here. I can get 10% at Rural King for $2 a gallon. I get the Menard's when they have the BOGO sales, but otherwise I look elsewhere. Don't know how far you are from Plano, but there is an RK there.

It's almost always $3.99 which is not a good deal. But for a week around Memorial Day and Independence Day they almost always have it buy one, get one free so $2 a gallon is a great deal, twice per year. Otherwise, I get mine at Fleet Farm for $2.50 a gallon ($10/4 pack).

It's almost always $3.99 which is not a good deal. But for a week around Memorial Day and Independence Day they almost always have it buy one, get one free so $2 a gallon is a great deal, twice per year. Otherwise, I get mine at Fleet Farm for $2.50 a gallon ($10/4 pack).

I agree, and although there are no Mendards around NJ, like the OP noticed in other stores I just noticed Menards used to carry a generic bleach in the laundry/cleaning supplies section that was sometimes a good deal, but they only seem to have the overpriced Clorox now. Also Menards liquid chlorine for pools just got marked "seasonal item" this week, which appears to mean they are no longer re-stocking it until next year. I learned about that the hard way the first year I had the pool, all my cheap chlorine sources vanished suddenly when the stores decided pool season was over long before I was ready to close. Now I know to stock up early for this time of year when it gets hard to find. I did find actual pool stores continue to carry it long after the "seasonal" stores stopped carrying it, but going there is a pain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think all the stores have empty bleach shelves, and are only leaving behind the high price containers because so many people have discovered this awesome site, and are finally able to keep their pools clean and clear for the 1st time in years. :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOL or perhaps on the other hand, all the bleach makers have discovered this site too, and realize they can jack up the prices during the Summer because all of us who want to keep our pools clean will be buying it? :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.