Can I close my pool without draining below the skimmer?

habner

Jul 12, 2009
Poplar Bluff, MO
We have a 27 foot above ground pool. We have tried every method of covering this pool in the winter, but I somehow always end up in a torrential downpour trying to pump the water off the top of the pool no matter what system we use to cover the pool. The last 4 years, we used the Duck Back pool cover that you inflate. That was the absolute best cover we have ever had, but it died a sad death this year. I just can't justify spending another $400 dollars to replace it if isn't going to last but 4 years. My questions are: We are considering not draining the pool below the skimmer this years and trying the Aquador skimmer cover. If we don't drain the pool below the skimmer, can we simply cover the pool making sure the cover rests on the top of the water and not use any balls or pillows? I realize that if we get a lot of rain or snow I'm going to have to pump off some water, but is it ok to leave small amounts? My husband obsesses with standing water on the pool. He is terrified that the walls of the pool are going to cave in. Does leaving the pool full lessen the chances of this happening?

If you don't freeze, leaving water is fine. Just run the pump a little everyday. When we had the ag, we never winterized or drained below the skimmer.

I use the aquadoor on my pool and never drain it down. All I do to winterize the plumbing is install the aquadoor cover and put a 1.5" plug in the return. (I obviously do drain all of the water from the pipes afterward).
I use a simple tarp like cover that uses a cable to tighten it to the sides of the pool. I float a plastic 55 gallon drum under the cover to help keep it above the water. During the fall months, I syphon off the water that collects on the cover to help with the fall leaves. Once the trees stop dropping leaves, I don't worry bout the water on top. 15 years like this and no problems so far.

Here is a mid winter shot of the pool...

I use the aquadoor on my pool and never drain it down. All I do to winterize the plumbing is install the aquadoor cover and put a 1.5" plug in the return. (I obviously do drain all of the water from the pipes afterward).
I use a simple tarp like cover that uses a cable to tighten it to the sides of the pool. I float a plastic 55 gallon drum under the cover to help keep it above the water. During the fall months, I syphon off the water that collects on the cover to help with the fall leaves. Once the trees stop dropping leaves, I don't worry bout the water on top. 15 years like this and no problems so far.

Here is a mid winter shot of the pool...

Do you tie down the drum in any way to keep it from moving around?

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you live? Does it freeze hard there?

Kim

We live in Southeast Missouri, 20 miles or so from the Arkansas line. We do have to deal with some snow and ice and freezing, but it usually doesn't last longer than a few days.

The problem with not draining below skimmer in the Midwest is that eventually the water will get added on top of the cover over the winter. That will raise the water level that is in the pool under the cover up to rail level eventually. If it goes high enough one year to touch the rails it will eventually start to rust the rails because of it.

The problem with not draining below skimmer in the Midwest is that eventually the water will get added on top of the cover over the winter. That will raise the water level that is in the pool under the cover up to rail level eventually. If it goes high enough one year to touch the rails it will eventually start to rust the rails because of it.

I never drain my pool down
Funny My cover does not let any water into the pool over the winter, I do have an Auto pump on top of the cover when its thawed
I use a hurricane cover and no pillow
I will actually loss a little water over the winter. But I use a Skimmer expandable plug and block the return, remove the hoses and pump

1. Pocket Pool Cover - Easy Dome Pool Covers, LLC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.